Lobby: Up
Online: 35
Sync Range: 40
* FAQ    * Search
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:27 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: FFXI HD
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 2:20 pm 

I'm sure most of the hardcore folks here already know all about this but I've just stumbled across this guy's amazing work:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKJ4a3 ... Q/featured

And from what I can see, the updated files can just be overridden on any install of FFXI, including a private server, turning it HD. It looks awesome and I think alongside Reshade makes the game really shine.

I wondered if there was any reason why his updated files couldn't be included in the Nasomi install - it'd make it so much easier for everyone to benefit from these updated and beautiful graphics (I know I'm nervous about messing around with the game files!) and could really help to attract and retain more new players which would be great.

Maybe have it as an option in the installer because I appreciate some peoples rigs (especially the laptops like mine with additional GPUs that don't play nice with FFXI) might not be able to cope with the additional requirements.

On a side note, there is a D3D8 file included in his stuff which people say is preconfigured and less glitchy than DGVoodoo. Not sure if this is included as standard with the nasomi installer.

What do you guys think and anyone got any other tips about making this work and other 'legal' enhancements to the game? (Improved draw distance would be top of my list!)

Post subject: Re: FFXI HD
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 3:16 pm 

Probably need it as an optional installer because nostalgia for graphical fidelity is still nostalgia. Gonna be honest, been following that project and intend to install it this weekend. New coat of paint really does the old girl justice.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 6:19 pm 

Please let us know how it goes, Edward. It'd be great to know whether or not this works with Nasomi.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 6:28 pm 

It works and many people use it.

Personally, I think it's ugly as hell and inconsistent.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 6:47 pm 

As one of the streamers of the community who use every single one of the HD overhaul if you like to see what it looks like before you downloaded feel free to check out my stream Www.twitch.tv/dakumauler. . FYI he is working on sky right now.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 6:53 pm 

They work just fine. Simply overwrite your existing files.

Some of them are better than others. It is somewhat jarring at times and can ruin mah immersion if you're one of those people.