Lobby: Up
Online: 59
Sync Range: 40
* FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:37 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:15 am 

Basically just what the title is asking. I've always loved BLU in XI, ever since it was released back in 2006. So I'd love to play it, but I've just been wondering how much of it actually works.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:18 am 

Not sure what is there as far as an ability list but it seems pretty strong on here.

I Want To Make Gil

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:23 am 

Blu is great.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:14 pm 

To be fair, it sucks finding parties because most BLUs suck...

Kinda the law of averages with pick up groups really.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:52 pm 

I dont think BLU's can keep up with other DD's for damage until 63 when they get Frenetic Rip (which if well geared should hit for between 300-500 dmg). Before that it is pretty rough going unless you sub THF for the single hit spells.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:43 am 

I mean, I've always just played BLU/NIN at 55+ and spammed Vorpal Blade. Only time I usedto cast spells in TP burn parties is to self SC or MB. Unless something prevents that on Nasomi, I don't see why people would have trouble with BLU DDing. I mean, other than bad players ruining the image, I guess.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:14 am 

Too many BLUs in full AF with MP gear sitting on 3000 TP because 'it makes my spells stronger' ruin it for us all :>

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:59 pm 

Have a good TP set and you can do pretty decent damage even in TP burn. I took BLU up to 61 over the past few weeks; the wait can be long for parties, so definitely get used to making your own. 55+ in bird parties as BLU/NIN I was hitting for about 90-100 damage per attack round (without BRD or COR, but with food since BLU can get away with it with careful enmity management,) and making Gravitation self-SC for about 900 total damage when CA Sickle Slash crit. Probably could have MB too, but they die so fast that I've found its rarely worth the extra mana expenditure.

My major piece of advice would be to make a macro that notifies your party not to fuck up your self-SC. Even then, some people can't help themselves, so I do find myself sometimes holding TP a bit longer until problem children have used theirs already. As for Vorpal Blade, you don't get it until 57 with 6 merits, 60 without any merits, so not quite sure what the guy above me is on about lol.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:06 pm 

Marawyn wrote:
I dont think BLU's can keep up with other DD's for damage until 63 when they get Frenetic Rip (which if well geared should hit for between 300-500 dmg). Before that it is pretty rough going unless you sub THF for the single hit spells.

At 60 you get Death Scissors that hits for 1k-1.8k (TP depending) with SACA if you use STR gear swap and play properly. When CA is down you can use Dimensional Death with SA for 800ish since it has better base damage. Mandibular Bite and Sickle Slash SA/CA for these things if you're below 60. Up until Mandibular Bite, /NIN with Bludgeon spam and Self-Chain is just better damage. Have to choose when to use the big hits until you get Zehpyr Mantle for Blink effect

The biggest downside to BLU is that it needs 100% up-time on Refresh or it just can't keep up. Also need a Vermy and the BLU auto-refresh abilities.

Some upsides to BLU include having Defense Down debuff through Frightful Roar, can remove non-NM mobs' TP through Feather tickle, offheal if things get rough or Healing Breeze at the end of fights if your only healer is a RDM, and dispels/silences to alleviate RDMs job of constantly Refreshing you (lol).

At higher level Cannonball is where it's as /THF but need STR/VIT/Defense to stack it's modifiers.

Take my post with a grain of salt, I'm no expert

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:31 pm 

Falynn wrote:
Too many BLUs in full AF with MP gear sitting on 3000 TP because 'it makes my spells stronger' ruin it for us all :>

I've had like 30 conversations in the dunes about this. I always get them to cast the same spell a few times with 0 and 3000 tp and compare the difference.

Spoiler: no difference.

It's honestly the somewhat confusing wording on the tooltips that do it.