Online: 77
Sync Range: 40
* FAQ    * Search
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:55 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: PVP 1M Challenges
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:40 pm 

kitsutsuki wrote:
Hope we get a non half assed implementation.

Pezzle

You expect too much from a private server managed by one person. It will be 100% unique to standard ballista.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:41 pm 

CodeBeholder wrote:
Dayum this sounds like fun!! I just returned so I don't have anything to use, wish I had my fully kited 75rdm/nin from retail!

It might be cool to do a low lvl version with less payout / buy-in... Also if the arena normalized gear and / or lvl then it would be more skill based.

I never did pvp in the old days, I think I left right as it came out. But in 1v1 a rdm with his 2hr seems pretty op... Then of course, without 2hr a bit less so, but still viable

Ballista being one of the only reasons I played on retail for so long (though tbh I don't expect this server's version of PvP to be anywhere near as sophisticated for obvious reasons) 60 cap was easily the most well balanced level cap of the game. Uncapped lead to too many broken job combinations and abilities being available, but I can understand that it's potentially more fun for those who have access to said items and abilities haha.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:42 pm 

Aperture wrote:
kitsutsuki wrote:
Hope we get a non half assed implementation.

Pezzle

You expect too much from a private server managed by one person. It will be 100% unique to standard ballista.

I agree with this. Not to be a negative nancy, but also having come from another server with "pvp" implemented, I'd bet money it's literally just a flag up at an npc and fight the opposing member. Nothing like ballista in any way in terms of damage mitigation and being unable to literally one shot or charm players.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:58 pm 

I hope flag up and duel is not pvp.

Ballista and to a lesser extent Brenner were well done, and not too difficult to implement imo.

Brenner time reservations were sweet though i suspect Nas would instance it instead worked well at the time.

Also by half assed i dont mean partially or imperfectly implemented per se. I mean that implementing something that never existed (random duelling, probably really only appeases those that feel the need to swing their twelve relics around).

Even a partially implemented system like ballista (i’d take single map scheduled times for 30/60/uncap only) with basic rules like 30% lower magic damage, blink locking, and petra makes you run 50% slower as good. There was more balancing obviously (increased traits among others) that od consider not needed in version one. I think that ballista even partially done or brenner would attract players and new people more that getting face stomped at an npc by a mostly semi-afk five year player (gear scale down for pvp shouldnt be a thing as certain effects dont really/shouldnt exist at lower levels).

Pezzle

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:05 pm 

Should point out that you could never charm players. Provokes repurposed function of forcing lock on was awesome though. One shotting players will really only be possible unbuffed and probably only uncapped.

One thing i will be bummed about is that i already have little gil and undoubtedly medicine/alch costs to pvp especially with the big kids will be VERY high. Also ballista titles were sweet.

Pezzle

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:06 pm 

kitsutsuki wrote:
I hope flag up and duel is not pvp.

Ballista and to a lesser extent Brenner were well done, and not too difficult to implement imo.

Brenner time reservations were sweet though i suspect Nas would instance it instead worked well at the time.

Also by half assed i dont mean partially or imperfectly implemented per se. I mean that implementing something that never existed (random duelling, probably really only appeases those that feel the need to swing their twelve relics around).

Even a partially implemented system like ballista (i’d take single map scheduled times for 30/60/uncap only) with basic rules like 30% lower magic damage, blink locking, and petra makes you run 50% slower as good. There was more balancing obviously (increased traits among others) that od consider not needed in version one. I think that ballista even partially done or brenner would attract players and new people more that getting face stomped at an npc by a mostly semi-afk five year player (gear scale down for pvp shouldnt be a thing as certain effects dont really/shouldnt exist at lower levels).

Pezzle

I'd kill for Ballista as well, even one zone like you said but I honestly don't ever see it being fully implemented or coded in the way we both hope. Not just this one, but on any server for that matter. It was just too niche of an event within FFXI to warrant spending the time coding for most server owners I imagine, and I'd also be willing to bet that very few of the people who actually code these servers have ever set foot into a Ballista/Brenner match on retail to code it with the accuracy it deserves. There are just far too many interactions with JAs and spells in Ballista/Brenner that functioned completely different than they did in the base game for someone who is inexperienced with the game mode to code it well.

Last edited by Tex on Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:23 pm 

I just hope my aoe stuns work this time!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:23 pm 

Bump. Many spots open. I can afford to lose a few times. :D

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:41 pm 

I will offer this same challenge, on a smaller scale (50k buy in, 250k if I lose) to anyone that wants to fight me on jobs level 20 or lower.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:48 pm 

where is deadwing and his pvp challenges at? didn't he beat urtiel's 100m challenge?