Lobby: Up
Online: 53
Sync Range: 40
* FAQ    * Search
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:40 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:02 pm 

Hi all, new player here [and nerd] here. First off, I know the new player gil guides based on quests/farming, but I've reached level 6 fishing and quite enjoy it. Not to mention an awesome dude "lincler" threw me a composite + sabiki with change, just to help me out. If I keep going down this path, I plan on exploring beyond the many guides out there.

I have some n00b questions that might be common knowledge (or not).

1. Is there a formula to calculate skill-up rate for a given fish? I think it's straightforward that you can't skill-up if a given fish's skill cap is less than or equal to your fishing skill, and that you can't catch fish over 20 levels of your skill.

But if a fish is within your skill range, what factors that increase / decrease skillups?

For example, many fishing guides mention that crayfish offer more skill-ups than moats when you are low level. Is that because crayfish have a lower skillcap than moats, i.e. are you more likely to skill-up from fish closer to your skill level?

2. What factors influence targeted fish bite rates?

I know rod / bait restrict the set of fish that you can target, but does the rod/bait combo also influence the bite rate for specific fish? For example at a specific location, if rod1/bait1 targets moats and rod2/bait2 also targets moats, will I get the same exact moat bite rate, or not?

Is location also a factor? For example if you had 2 locations where you targeted the exact same fish with your rod/bait set-up, would you get the same bite rates?

Any thoughts/suggestions would be much appreciated!

--Muncheese (picked a better name for my alt)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:50 pm 

I think the answer to the first question is 'no'. Not the best fisher, only like 55 myself, but I don't think theres any real logic to it. Just 'if catching a fish above your level, skillup chance'

As for second.. Uh, I dunno. Just bait I think?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:30 am 

Generally the guides out there are isolating one type of fish for skillups instead of trying to make gil. Some locations are better than others based on that ability alone.

I'd suggest speedskilling to 50+(pref 76) so you can target the better fish for gil.

I need my privacy, I need some signs please,
You're all too loud you don't speak quietly, opinions violently.
Deft/Drop