Lobby: Up
Online: 57
Sync Range: 40
* FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:32 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
 Post subject: Re: Is Nasomi corrupt?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:46 pm 

The accusations of "unprofessionalism" come from players who feel they got "unfairly" banned for breaking the rules. For example, someone who got banned a long time ago claimed they did not deserve a permanent ban for speedhacking on several occasions to farm more quickly/efficiently.

The rules aren't the most clear, but if you're banned for something like that, it should be obvious that nas is not being unfair to you. Players who want to be able to get away with their "small" infraction cost nas a lot of time - that's why he has a no tolerance policy.

In another example, a player who got banned over a year ago still bothers naschat on a daily basis about getting unbanned. The player gained tens of millions of gil through an exploit, and leaked those into the economy. "Other people did it" isn't an excuse - it just means they get banned too. And they did.

Players who love FFXI don't want to see their hard work taken away and will call anyone who does so a "nazi admin who likes to play god" - but nas has to remove people who ruin the ffxi classic experience, however. It really pains him to ban players. He tries everything he can to prevent people from cheating rather than banning them for cheating. He has to remind me often that "the point isn't to jail people, it's to put everyone on a level playing field". Please remember that next time someone complains that nas treated them unfairly - that person's intent was to cheat and not have to do what the rest of us have to to succeed. Taking away their character for doing that is not unfair.

And he does all that moderation in private - so the vast majority of public accusations of him treating people unfairly go unresponded to by him, leading others who are caught to think it's unfair for them too. The one time he did respond recently was a good example of what normally happens: someone got banned for RMT, but told their friends that they got banned for trading their friend a bunch of gil, and that it must be a mistake on nas's part, and that he "isn't responding" to them in private about it in a timely manner. Nas came into the thread and told them the exact time and dates of several RMT transactions the banned player was caught doing, and that he told them in private what they did and how he caught them - the person telling their friends that it was a mistake on nas's part was lying to them, leading for a dozen of so people int hat group to believe nas was unfairly jailing this person. Most times nas won't bother to respond to those types of discussions and accusations in public, I wish he did more often, so that this "nas is corrupt/unfair/unprofessional" meme would go away.

And then there's an even worse subset of people: they say "I didn't do anything" in naschat or the forums and claim that nas isn't answering them. This goes on for a week even though nas had already answered them on the first day, explaining what they did. That entire time they're riling people up saying "I don't deserve to be here!" while in private with nas saying "Please it was a mistake on my part I won't do it ever again". Nas doesn't expose them in the public chat, he just lets them realize day after day that they won't get their ill-gotten gains back. Who is being unprofessional here?

Last edited by Nabutso on Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:55 pm 

To be fair... One of the more common people that told his friends that he was banned for accepting a bunch of gil and Nas wasn't responding.... was later unbanned because that is exactly what happened...

.... actually more than one example of that in the time you're talking about.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:58 pm 

Wolffhardt wrote:
To be fair... One of the more common people that told his friends that he was banned for accepting a bunch of gil and Nas wasn't responding.... was later unbanned because that is exactly what happened.

There were exceptional circumstances around that time, and the player did actually accept gil from a gil seller for nothing in return - nas just didn't dig deep enough to see that this trade happened to be legitimate regardless. And it didn't take days, more like a few hours to get unjailed. The player messaged me right away and I forwarded it to nas, and he looked at it and in like 2 hours he was out.

Other examples similar to that lead nas to be even more careful than he used to be about banning players. The stuff going on at the time (remember players getting hacked and losing a bunch of shit?) lead nas to have to act differently to try to mitigate what was happening. He hadn't banned "legitimate" players before that, and hasn't since. And, like you said, it all worked out shortly afterwards. Someone got put in jail so that nas could remove tens of millions worth of duped items they were given. That person was angry that they were in jail for over a day while nas figured out exactly what they were given, while also doing all his usual daily tasks... it can take time to do a really thorough investigation, which is why cheating/RMT/etc wastes so much of nas's time.

Last edited by Nabutso on Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:59 pm 

There was people banned for longer than that, for that scenario, but that's not really the point. My point is, again, pretending everyone's infallible only leaves room for disappointment.

Nas isn't a bad guy. He's not corrupt. Don't cheat and you'll likely be just fine. He makes mistakes sometimes. OP is obviously a troll, and that's why we switched to talking about other random crap.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:01 pm 

Wolffhardt wrote:
There was people banned for longer than that, for that scenario, but that's not really the point. My point is, again, pretending everyone's infallible only leaves room for disappointment.

Nas isn't a bad guy. He's not corrupt. Don't cheat and you'll likely be just fine. He makes mistakes sometimes. OP is obviously a troll, and that's why we switched to talking about other random crap.

Was there anyone banned for more than a few days while nas re-investigated what happened to them?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:05 pm 

Yes - That's not really the point though. People obviously waste Nas's time by complaining to him and making him investigate things they know they did wrong, welcome to planet Earth.

People also get unbanned though. The person that got banned knows whether it's a good use of Nas's time or not.

Not you, or I, or anyone else here on the forums besides Pepsi knows whether they are lying or not.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:23 pm 

oh no!!! Pepsi is gone?? I am in no way affiliated but damnit! He was like a soft drink father to me!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:40 pm 

Nasomi is truly a selfless individual, though his wife doesn't like this server taking up so much of his time and money.. you may want to read the big Q&A thread: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8019 and nas's youtube channel where he does livestreams and answers questions: https://www.youtube.com/nasomi

There aren't active forum mods, Petz doesn't really do anything here, so nas is left to do all forum moderation (and upkeep, like pinning, unpinning old threads) himself.

There are no staff for him to worry about abusing powers. That's both a good and bad thing. At some point, he may trust someone enough to help him with development, moderation, or community (forum/naschat) issues.

Nas lets players vent their frustration and drama here unless it gets out of control, so he does read the forums and read through every single topic himself.

Last edited by Nabutso on Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:44 pm 

lunaprey wrote:
Thank you for the nice response Nabutso!

As a creator of forum software, and also the owner of my own web community, I know what's it's like to have to deal with and defend against attacks by those who pushed the rules too far and got banned. My forum has been under attack by this Turkish pedo for years. When the site started it had no CAPTCHA on registration, and pretty much no rules, but with the daily attacks, we were forced to implement an automated reputation system and limit new accounts from begin able to post pictures or links to combat it! We also tried to make a "Senate" so that players could make their own rules, but even that is being ruined by trolls, and the result is a lot of blow-back against me, the creator for "not implementing the senate's bills" even though they are troll bills.

Anyway, the point is I totally understand how every online community has a few trolls who make life hard for the admin, and force new rules and restrictions on everyone, so if that's all Nasomi is then that's fine.... But I suspect there is more to this story.

I was able to enjoy being an admin on the private server Gamez Aion for awhile a few years ago, and it was a great learning experience-- mostly in seeing how simple it is for some unskilled loser to setup a private server, and literally earn tens of thousands of dollars by selling items in exchange for "donations". He wasn't even paying taxes! So to come to this beautiful new FFXI server and find zero profit-taking, I am almost cynical! Has the server not grown large enough to be milked yet, or is Nasomi truly a selfless individual not looking to enrich himself?

Thee are still a lot of questions to be answered about Nasomi. Like how old is he? What does he do for a living? Where does he live? Is he well spoken? Educated? Does he hold political beliefs, and if so, which way does he lean? Does he have an ego? Does he tolerate staff (such as moderators) who abuse their power? (such as locking threads). Is this forum truly free speech or do users self censor and walk on egg shells? Help me to find out if Nasomi is a good Human being or not!

P.S. The number of pinned threads in this forum implies moderators feel their voice is more important than their users. This is a not a philosophy I support, but I do understand this low level abuse of power is prevalent in most of today's web-forums--- but that doesn't make it okay.

P.S.S. The fact that users are aloud to divert the topic in this thread and be open about it is a good sign that moderators are not over-zealously looking to exercise their power-- which I admire. It's important that monitors know their place as lowly janitors, and not as corrupt-cops looking to get a "kill". I hope all threads are like this. This is how it is on my forum too. The rule of "staying on topic" is useful in academic realms, but not social ones. In those, freedom of expression and relationship-building should be the end goal, rather than content-generation.

Noooooo bby wut iz u dewin

I need my privacy, I need some signs please,
You're all too loud you don't speak quietly, opinions violently.
Deft/Drop

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:46 pm 

lunaprey wrote:
Thank you for the nice response Nabutso!

As a creator of forum software, and also the owner of my own web community, I know what's it's like to have to deal with and defend against attacks by those who pushed the rules too far and got banned. My forum has been under attack by this Turkish pedo for years. When the site started it had no CAPTCHA on registration, and pretty much no rules, but with the daily attacks, we were forced to implement an automated reputation system and limit new accounts from begin able to post pictures or links to combat it! We also tried to make a "Senate" so that players could make their own rules, but even that is being ruined by trolls, and the result is a lot of blow-back against me, the creator for "not implementing the senate's bills" even though they are troll bills.

Anyway, the point is I totally understand how every online community has a few trolls who make life hard for the admin, and force new rules and restrictions on everyone, so if that's all Nasomi is then that's fine.... But I suspect there is more to this story.

I was able to enjoy being an admin on the private server Gamez Aion for awhile a few years ago, and it was a great learning experience-- mostly in seeing how simple it is for some unskilled loser to setup a private server, and literally earn tens of thousands of dollars by selling items in exchange for "donations". He wasn't even paying taxes! So to come to this beautiful new FFXI server and find zero profit-taking, I am almost cynical! Has the server not grown large enough to be milked yet, or is Nasomi truly a selfless individual not looking to enrich himself?

Thee are still a lot of questions to be answered about Nasomi. Like how old is he? What does he do for a living? Where does he live? Is he well spoken? Educated? Does he hold political beliefs, and if so, which way does he lean? Does he have an ego? Does he tolerate staff (such as moderators) who abuse their power? (such as locking threads). Is this forum truly free speech or do users self censor and walk on egg shells? Help me to find out if Nasomi is a good Human being or not!

P.S. The number of pinned threads in this forum implies moderators feel their voice is more important than their users. This is a not a philosophy I support, but I do understand this low level abuse of power is prevalent in most of today's web-forums--- but that doesn't make it okay.

P.S.S. The fact that users are aloud to divert the topic in this thread and be open about it is a good sign that moderators are not over-zealously looking to exercise their power-- which I admire. It's important that monitors know their place as lowly janitors, and not as corrupt-cops looking to get a "kill". I hope all threads are like this. This is how it is on my forum too. The rule of "staying on topic" is useful in academic realms, but not social ones. In those, freedom of expression and relationship-building should be the end goal, rather than content-generation.

why in the fuck would anyone tell you any of those questions

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next