Lobby: Up
Online: 38
Sync Range: 40
* FAQ    * Search
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:20 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 57 Next
PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:13 pm 

ZweiHerzen wrote:
What was this server like for the past 5 years?

Seems so fucking bizarre to me that nas only just now figured out how to change values to their era counterparts. Its like no one would have ever considered this to actually be an era-accurate server before a few months ago.

The extremely slow development of nasomi to get even this close to era has created a huge gap between early and later players. A total character reset across the board doesn't seem out of the question, which of course would be a shame for basically everyone. I just don't get nas' mentality towards how he's approaching this or why he continues to make changes, many of which aren't implemented correctly at first. The preoccupation with era accuracy to some date in 2007 being of higher importance than any later updates made purely out of balance and fun adjustments by SE seems questionable.

Would really like to sit down one day and just play the game and learn it rather than having fundamental, undocumented changes occur every week.

it's his server and he can do what he wants is the tl;dr

this game/this era will never get official support from SE so this is the best we're going to get unless someone rebuilds the game from the ground up completely out of pocket and manages to dodge all the legal shit associated with that

hell the .dat issue is on Eden too because both Nas and there run off the same DSP codebase

if you don't like it there's really nothing you can do other than quit playing, that's the hard truth of it

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:31 pm 

So is nasomi in charge of the changes and does he have an intimate understanding of the in-game consequences of these changes, or is he just some average FF fan who hopped on the darkstar project early and haphazardly setup a server while adapting updates made to darkstar, most of which are over his head to the point that bar-none anyone else could download darkstar and setup an equally maladjusted "era" server?

Is nasomi actually in charge or is he just copypasting nightlies of fucking dsp. He doesn't seem too acquainted with patchnote etiquette so I'm sot so sure it definitely isn't the latter.

this isn't even worth getting heated over. i'll check things out in like a month maybe to see if any positive adjustments have been made, but the current pace of the game after these collective nerfs is just unfun. games are supposed to be fun.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:55 pm 

Nas is pretty fun. I suggest trying to beat harem scarem if u feel bored lol.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:21 pm 

ZweiHerzen wrote:
So is nasomi in charge of the changes and does he have an intimate understanding of the in-game consequences of these changes, or is he just some average FF fan who hopped on the darkstar project early and haphazardly setup a server while adapting updates made to darkstar, most of which are over his head to the point that bar-none anyone else could download darkstar and setup an equally maladjusted "era" server?

Is nasomi actually in charge or is he just copypasting nightlies of fucking dsp. He doesn't seem too acquainted with patchnote etiquette so I'm sot so sure it definitely isn't the latter.

this isn't even worth getting heated over. i'll check things out in like a month maybe to see if any positive adjustments have been made, but the current pace of the game after these collective nerfs is just unfun. games are supposed to be fun.

I made it a point when I joined to actually get a history, it seems pretty obvious you didn't.

Nasomi branched off from dsp 3-4 years ago, since then nothing they do goes in and vice versa. He said it's because their goals were different, dsp wants current retail, whatever that happens to be and it's constantly changing, he wanted a fixed point in time. Nas has said in streams that at this point the cores are fundamentally incompatible because they've both changed so much that patches there can't be applied here.

He's also come out and said that he never expected it to get this big, but as long as people want to play he'll keep the lights on and keep pushing updates. His patch notes are intentionally vague so people can figure stuff out. He said it is and always has been a work in progress, there's no ready to roll code. He's one guy working on it so yeah, thousands of changes weren't deployed over night, but over the course of years.

If you think it's that easy, go over to dsp and roll your own era server and see how easy it is. I'm sure you can do better, so lets see it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:29 am 

Not gonna lie, this game "in era" was an unbalanced hunk of shit. I didn't find it very enjoyable when I played it for a few months back in '06, which is something I'd forgotten over the past 13 years, and hadn't started remembering until like a month after playing here. For the most part, the custom aspects of nasomi were desireable to me, and I didn't even know they weren't era short of the cheap conquest items. But even back in May before these era-accurate nerfs were implemented, it was increasingly becoming apparent to me that the job balance here was kinda fucked up for lacking even a few later-history adjustments from the more recent expansion packs beyond ToAU, and I knew enough even in May that, if PLD was intended to be a tank, it sure as shit could not actually effectively play that role. I often found myself dying in parties while facetanking cause of an errant TP move. Like even back in May when "cures were out-of-era OP" and "protects were out-of-era OP", PLD was still no better at tanking through the mob's primary focus than basically every other melee job solely on the aspect of survivability by taking damage, which is when I started learning how much more effective at "tanking" NIN is. I could come to grips with it, but I figured if any changes should be made, they should be to better balance PLD's defense and vit buffs, yet at that point I was still more distraught over how little damage PLD puts out for lacking attack-boosting traits that every other melee job has, which seemed like a necessary thing PLD ought to have as a "tank" much less a viable valuable party member when enmity seems to be controlled on bigdick damage numbers and high-value heals.
The jist of it was PLD was a pretty shitty job for parties and could barely affect the flow of enmity once you got to lv.55+, with a high chance of martyrdom and dying while playing /war, and a higher chance of upsetting randoms by losing provoke if choosing to attend as /nin instead. I figured PLD could use some upgrades, but the two big changes made to cures and protect since May, and since PLD was already a questionable job, have now completely crippled it. The cure nerf got rid of PLD's survivability through tanking and put a strain on it's limited MP pool, and the protect nerf knocks down it's survivability even more. Both of these nerfs affected every frontline job that frequently takes damage, but when the only real utility PLD ever had in the first place were fuckin Protect and Cures, PLD might as well not even be a job.
I had bought a Mercurial Greatsword and dropped some merits into greatsword to be a more effective frontline member shitting out damage frequently enough to reliably get aggro like other jobs since getting people together for charybdys and a joyeuse seems out of the question, but now that the best protect only offers 55def rather than 120def, it no longer really works. PLD now requires a shield for the extra defense, else risk dying to common mobs 12 levels below. And thats just for solo! In a PT setup, PLD may as well not even be there cause sword and shield is worthless damage unabled to reliably affect the flow of aggro when not using the better swords like riddil or joyeuse, but PLD doesn't even get riddil so that's a pointless quirk it has too.

In the end, without any future positive adjustments or rollbacks on these extremely-late arbitrary changes to cures and protect, it's becoming apparent that the only pt setup capable of still retaining efficiency are blm burn parties. You know, the pt setups that cheese the game and defy the need for frequent cures or frontline jobs needing protect.

It ultimately seems to me like wanting an "era-accurate" FFXI is actually a dumb thing which actively ignores the hard work of the hundreds of more capable people who developed the game over it's lifetime, generally for the better through balance and fun adjustments. It would seem most of this playerbase was fine with and enjoyed the idea of "retail" FFXI but with a hard 75cap and lacking DNC/GEO/RUN/SCH, which was a custom unique experience that nasomi offered. The more era-accurate nasomi becomes however, the more painfully slow and unbalanced and unappealing the game becomes, as well as removing what uniqueness this server once offered; cause again, "era-accurate" up to ToAU is not something that is unique to nasomi, but instead the goal of the darkstar project itself. Any joe who downloads darkstar and sets up a server will find themselves in the same world as Nasomi or Eden: "era-accurate" and only up to ToAU content, cause thats just the default of what darkstar is.

I would like to keep playing on Nasomi, but not if the game stays this way or worsens even greater through more "era-accurate" ""fixes"" that only serve as nerfs against players.

Last edited by ZweiHerzen on Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:40 am 

ZweiHerzen wrote:
Not gonna lie, this game "in era" was an unbalanced hunk of shit. I didn't find it very enjoyable when I played it for a few months back in '06, which is something I'd forgotten over the past 13 years, and hadn't started remembering until like a month after playing here. For the most part, the custom aspects of nasomi were desireable to me, and I didn't even know they weren't era short of the cheap conquest items. But even back in May before these era-accurate nerfs were implemented, it was increasingly becoming apparent to me that the job balance here was kinda fucked up for lacking even a few later-history adjustments from the more recent expansion packs beyond ToAU, and I knew enough even in May that, if PLD was intended to be a tank, it sure as shit could not actually effectively play that role. I often found myself dying in parties while facetanking cause of an errant TP move. Like even back in May when "cures were out-of-era OP" and "protects were out-of-era OP", PLD was still no better at tanking through the mob's primary focus than basically every other melee job solely on the aspect of survivability by taking damage, which is when I started learning how much more effective at "tanking" NIN is. I could come to gripes with it, but I figured if any changes should be made, they should be to better balance PLD's defense and vit buffs, yet at that point I was still more distraught over how little damage PLD puts out for lacking attack-boosting traits that every other melee job has, which seemed like a necessary thing PLD ought to have as a "tank" much less a viable valuable party member when enmity seems to be controlled on bigdick damage numbers and high-value heals.
The jist of it was PLD was a pretty shitty job for parties and could barely affect the flow of enmity once you got to lv.55+, with a high chance of martyrdom and dying while playing /war, and a higher chance of upsetting randoms by losing provoke if choosing to attend as /nin instead. I figured PLD could use some upgrades, but the two big changes made to cures and protect since May, and since PLD was already a questionable job, have now completely crippled it. The cure nerf got rid of PLD's survivability through tanking and put a strain on it's limited MP pool, and the protect nerf knocks down it's survivability even more. Both of these nerfs affected every frontline job that frequently takes damage, but when the only real utility PLD ever had in the first place were fuckin Protect and Cures, PLD might as well not even be a job.
I had bought a Mercurial Greatsword and dropped some merits into greatsword to be a more effective frontline member shitting out damage frequently enough to reliably get aggro like other jobs since getting people together for charybdys and a joyeuse seems out of the question, but now that the best protect only offers 55def rather than 120def, it no longer really works. PLD now requires a shield for the extra defense, else risk dying to common mobs 12 levels below. And thats just for solo! In a PT setup, PLD may as well not even be there cause sword and shield is worthless damage unabled to reliably affect the flow of aggro when not using the better swords like riddil or joyeuse, but PLD doesn't even get riddil so that's a pointless quirk it has too.

In the end, without any future positive adjustments or rollbacks on these extremely-late arbitrary changes to cures and protect, it's becoming apparent that the only pt setup capable of still retaining efficiency are blm burn parties. You know, the pt setups that cheese the game and defy the need for frequent cures or frontline jobs needing protect.

It ultimately seems to me like wanting an "era-accurate" FFXI is actually a dumb thing which actively ignores the hard work of the hundreds of more capable people who developed the game over it's lifetime, generally for the better through balance and fun adjustments. It would seem most of this playerbase was fine with and enjoyed the idea of "retail" FFXI but with a hard 75cap and lacking DNC/GEO/RUN/SCH, which was a custom unique experience that nasomi offered. The more era-accurate nasomi becomes however, the more painfully slow and unbalanced and unappealing the game becomes, as well as removing what uniqueness this server once offered; cause again, "era-accurate" up to ToAU is not something that is unique to nasomi, but instead the goal of the darkstar project itself. Any joe who downloads darkstar and sets up a server will find themselves in the same world as Nasomi or Eden: "era-accurate" and only up to ToAU content, cause thats just the default of what darkstar is.

I would like to keep playing on Nasomi, but not if the game stays this way or worsens even greater through more "era-accurate" ""fixes"" that only serve as nerfs against players.

Well done, thank you for articulating what players from the 2006 time machine have been thinking.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:22 am 

ZweiHerzen wrote:
it's becoming apparent that the only pt setup capable of still retaining efficiency are blm burn parties. You know, the pt setups that cheese the game and defy the need for frequent cures or frontline jobs needing protect.

What? You can walk throughout the world and see many different PT setups working, PLD tank, NIN tank, no tank and manaburns.

Also is that your current gear in the pic in the OP on 75PLD? If so I think we've found the reason you die all the time.

ZweiHerzen wrote:

Bye Felicia.

Edit: I should also note, myself and many others have seen things like the Cure values and said they were OP by about 10-20% from very early on in our time on Nasomi.

I need my privacy, I need some signs please,
You're all too loud you don't speak quietly, opinions violently.
Deft/Drop

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:37 am 

my gear in the earlier pics is lv.40 stuff cause my LS was planning to go after dobsons that day, and my gear didn't matter for just running through ranperres tomb to complete 6-2.

Try as you might, this isn't a "me" problem. The game feels shitty now. I actually couldn't help my LS mate get his coffer key earlier because of how strikingly depressed it hit me to be having such difficulty with 1-on-1 orc fights (which actually weren't even 1-on-1 cause he's a 60DRK, but even this 1.5-on-1 was still significantly less efficient than many of my previous true-solo runs through davoi), and had pretty much decided right then and there that nasomi's fuckering about with the numbers of this game is just progressively worsening the experience. I have gone through davoi many times and would say it's one of my more familiar zones, so I'm well acquainted with what the usual experience of going through there was like. It feels like these shitty orcs put up as much of a fight as NM anticans or PLD quadavs in beadeaux, which means said NM anticans and high-tier PLD quadavs in beadeaux are even harder themselves now. Or who knows, maybe their protects got nerfed too so it would balance out a little - but the real issue with the player nerfs is taking more damage than usual, requiring more heals than usual, depleting mp faster than usual, making the fight last longer than usual by casting instead of killing. These nerfs against player efficacy are fucking stupid, and seem wholly mindlessly implemented sorely for the sake of trying to copy-paste the values of buffs from an era in time before most of the decent balance adjustments were implemented.
It's just plain retrograding.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:58 am 

ZweiHerzen wrote:
Thats a huge leap of faith lol. The nasomi playerbase didn't even notice the cure nerf. It's not that they're wrong for not paying it any mind. I've sometimes mentioned it and people in LS or parties are like "what happened?"
Most people pay very little attention to numbers here.
If they played with any frequency however, it goes without saying that they've felt the game had gotten more difficult if they have any awareness of their surroundings without first chocking it up to thinking the other people in their parties are to blame for "sucking".

The points i was getting at were that yeah, no one else seems to be posting about cures and protect sucking -- but just the same no one was posting about cures and protect being out-of-era. They went unaltered for years. Please try to feign intelligence in the least and just nod and agree, miku. You will look like less of a dumbass.

You just wasn't around when it was posted about baby, talked about. You pretty new zweihbaby, probably aren't going to last very long with that attitude either.

I had cure value being out of era posted in the old forums. It's been posted quite a bit in the new forums. I posted about broken cures a few times myself, Aeroo posted about them a few times with some pictures to prove his claims. Most of the posts agreed after then, that "Yes this needs to be fixed". I was expecting an outage over it.... but people pretty much accepted the cure revamp as a nessecary fix. Then there's you.... The new hothead, claiming it was never noticed or talked about, and that you don't want to play cause pld can't cure IV for over 500 now.... 15%-16% on the top end broke your game? Maybe you should just smile and /nod, you'll look like less of a dumbass. Honestly tho, idc what ya do, you been told, and told again, then told some more lol. You just fuckin up your own blood pressure, and anyone indulging in your form of hype is just following suit. If you don't wanna play, kbye, if you still wanna play and need some advice on how to adapt, should ask for advice, if you just gonna complain that this isn't what you want.... Nobody can help ya bruh. #CURE-REVAMP-WINS

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:04 am 

ZweiHerzen wrote:
These nerfs against player efficacy are fucking stupid, and seem wholly mindlessly implemented sorely for the sake of trying to copy-paste the values of buffs from an era in time before most of the decent balance adjustments were implemented.
It's just plain retrograding.

Game was super hard and punishing then, that's what Nasomi and a very large number of players want.

I need my privacy, I need some signs please,
You're all too loud you don't speak quietly, opinions violently.
Deft/Drop

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 57 Next