Lobby: Up
Online: 45
Sync Range: 40
* FAQ    * Search
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:54 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:32 am 

A question for Nasomi experts or PC 'technicians' to some degree.
I am experiencing a strange FPS drop that is somehow related to chat log use:

The game will drop to around 15-20 FPS without notice. Maximizing chat to full-screen: 5-8 FPS. Selecting chat with "F" key: 10-20 FPS.
Closing all lines of chat using escape key returns it to 29 FPS until text lines return. The event begins randomly while playing.
Sometimes it starts 15 minutes into playing, sometimes an hour, or more. It seems there is no correlation there.
The client must be rebooted to return to a playable state.
Extensive testing has been done on the PC with no errors. This includes memtest, full driver re-installs after being wiped clean, and more.
The issue persists over multiple re-installations of Nasomi.

Due to the engineer in me, I would much prefer to find and solve the issue rather than perform an OS re-install.
I will save that for my very last effort if the forums can't help.

Contact via Discord preferred: Palantir#0187
IGN is Palantir.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:46 am 

bump for frustration

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:28 pm 

I was getting low frame rate from the UI also. When you hit the ] key to hide the UI, do you get better performance?

I solved the problem with the information found here:
https://nasomi.com/wiki/index.php?title=Config:troubleshooting#Performance_Issues

Place the "d3d8" fix in your ffxi-bootmod folder.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:25 pm 

Yes, the ] has the same effect.

After giving the d3d8 fix a shot I only get persistent low FPS full-time. So the game actually runs better without it, until the UI starts acting up.
I'm giving dgVoodoo a shot but I don't really think it has quite what i'm looking for.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:49 pm 

What helped my performance issues was doing this: (if you have a multicore processor and on Windows 7/10)

Create a new file and call it "launch.bat" (or whateveryoulike.bat). Edit it with notepad or whatever you like and place in:
start /affinity 2 ashita.exe

Put this file in the nasomi ashita filder where the exe is. I'm pretty sure that's the name of the executable. I'm at work so can't check right now but that should work. Before doing this, I would get constant stuttering and lag. So maybe this might help ya.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 2:40 am 

Bumping thread - Ive discovered this is the issue to my low FPS is the chat log. Has anyone confirmed the fix here?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:21 am 

No luck here, I've tried everything: several re-installs, all the graphics mods, even did a fresh install of windows just to try to fix the issue. I still get random FPS drops ranging from 5fps to 25fps. This happens regardless of the FPS addon being loaded or used. Usually a relog fixes it, but sometimes I relog and it just starts dropping again right away. If I persist through the issue, sometimes it works itself out after 15-20m, and sometimes a zone fixes it too, but once again, sometimes it doesn't. I have no ideas left to try.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:18 am 

If it's just chatlog, do you have menu resolution super high? Or set to an unsyncable x,y, for your monitor? Also make sure the menu resolution you're using, isn't one of the faulty resolutions. The newer hardware will use scaling alot of times, and ffxi itself doesn't support scaling. You can go through all the programs used and right click, go to compatibility tab, find and "disable svaling on hi dpi settings", you'll have to do it for both your ashita program, and the ffxi program itself. If disabling scaling doesn't work you may be one of the unfortunate few that has to use resolutions the ffxi program can process. Try disabling scaling first though

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:08 am 

All resolution settings are correctly set to 1080, my native resolution is 1440 however. I'll try the scaling bit you mentioned. This is getting to be a major struggle, sometimes I'll go a week without issue, and then get slammed with continuous frame drops to like 5FPS mere minutes after relogging or rebooting.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:14 pm 

Despite the time that has passed, I should probably post my solutions for the sake of having it archived. My issue was twofold:
1) FPS would drop to unplayable numbers at random times with no apparent correlation. Sometimes an hour after playing and only once, but sometimes back to back every time my workaround was applied (edit: relogging).
2) Audio latency would spike through the roof, and if I was in Discord voice chat my mic would stop responding to input, essentially muting me. (edit: workaround was to disable and re-enable my microphone device).

Solution to 1) NVidia Control Panel > Manage 3D settings > Program Settings tab > boot file used (typically boot.exe or pol.exe), and also Ashita.exe just in case.
For both of these executable I have set Power management mode to Prefer maximum performance (main fix) and Low Latency Mode to Ultra (may also help).

Solution to 2) I had a pre-existing issue with Steam that cause my game downloads and updates to frequently become corrupted. I did not realize these were connected and had decided the issue stemmed from the particular SSD's I had been using as others with the same issue reported having 2.5" Samsung SSDs in their system as well. The actual fix was a clean wipe of Steam with a fresh install. I also use Voicemeeter Banana as my primary audio manager which had been corrupted due to Windows updates and I hadn't realized this because I had not visited their site to read patch information which had mentioned the aforementioned Windows update and the requirement to uninstall remove audio drivers, reboot, and with all USB devices unplugged reinstall Voicemeeter to remove all conflictions caused by Microsoft. This may have been a precursor to my Steam issue, though I suppose I'll never fully know.

Regardless, if you use Voicemeeter and/or Steam and feel like these issues may sound somewhat familiar to you, give Solution 2 a shot, and Solution 1 is worth applying anyway as it will not affect your game's performance, yet it may fix an issue for you before it ever arises. An application called LatencyMon can also help you identify whether or not you are experiencing issues with latency in your system.