Lobby: Up
Online: 45
Sync Range: 40
* FAQ    * Search
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:25 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:22 pm 

Fmtwo wrote:
Can also use this website to find the fish you're trying to skill up on. I did my early levels in the river in misareaux coast at J-6 and am told it went way faster than Selbina at the same levels.

http://www.great-blue.jp/?lng=en

Hmmm.... has this been the reason I only get one bite in a hundred casts in Port Windurst?? According to the link above a clothespole is “too small” for bastore sardine, but I’d been going by FFXIclopedia which shows no such restriction.

Can anyone confirm that if GreatBlue says a Rod is “too small”, then it won’t pull in that fish?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:37 pm 

It seems to be hit-or-miss, and not everything follows retail in terms of rod, but yeah I'd just about bet a dollar that's the case. You should be fine using a Halcyon or Composite rod (at this point, just get the composite - it'll last you all the way until Lu/Ebisu, if you're even gonna bother going that route). There are a few fish along the way that won't bite one or the other, but after moat and forest carp you'll pretty much just use Composite forever, unless there are some very specific fish you're trying to target.

On a semi-related note, keep in mind that there is a bite rate cap of like 45% for any fish and many are much lower (like Cave Cherax which hover around 10-12%). Often times it's very useful to target a single fish for skillup/profit purposes, but sometimes it's more worth your time to widen the net a bit and just NPC the garbage fish, too. Yeah, it takes time to reel them in, but often times that 100gil/fish trash pulls in more gil/hr than catching nothing for 20 casts straight. Once you hit 76 you'll probably just end up doing a rig in Qufim anyway, but it's useful to know how to target stuff.

On an even more semi-semi-related note, keep in mind that rigs on Nasomi can often catch two of whatever you've hooked, but that they also tend to target a much wider array of fish, so you'll want to be careful that you're not needlessly risking a broken rod/lost rig or wasting a bunch of time on fish that are too high-level for you to reel in more often than 1% of the time (you can very very occasionally pull in fish that are way above your skill level, but it's never worth your time to try).

I'd put cool pics of my achievements/items here, if they were anything interesting. How about "I pooped today! \o/"

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:39 am 

Great advice on the Halcyon and Composite, I tried both and they both worked equally well. I got from 0.7 to 5.0 in under 3 hours!!! huge improvement over jellyfish in Selbina.

Also great advice on the cap rates, and spreading out the targets to maximize gil/hr. I'll be working in those tips for certain!

/salute

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:46 pm 

Please, avoid jellyfish at all costs. I’ve saved people, probably by this point over 100 hours going in Selbina, and telling them about sardines in Port windy. The goal is to get past the early levels as soon as possible, and by isolating skill up fish you will be able to do this.

Port windy with Sabiki rig is BY FAR the fastest way to skill 1-10. After that you have many options from 12 to 26, but again I suggest isolating skill up fish over money fish before you get to the higher levels. Using this method I was able to go 1 to 50 in a week, and now have a level 12 tarutaru at level 100 fishing with Ebisu rod. This was all done very quickly as long as you don’t try to make money early.

I am happy to help with any questions, and even get you started with a good fishing pole and tackle to start. Message me in game anytime if anyone has any questions regarding fishing.

Good luck!

PS: never never never Selbina.

Gankmobile/healmobile