Lobby: Up
Online: 65
Sync Range: 40
* FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:00 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:45 pm 

Fishing in Qufim last night, I lost my lure watching this.
It's a documentary about the murder of Shanann Watts and her children, by husband, Chris Watts. It is put together so well, I almost had to fast forward some parts during his confession.
Maybe because I'm a parent or I'm getting too soft in my old age, but it hit me real heavy. Go watch it and discuss some philosophical points with me.

Morality is subjective.
Man is not born inherently good or evil.
Moral/value systems are invented so we can all get along.

A man who justifies breaking the rules of his moral systems is on a slippery slope to continue doing so.

What interests me the most in this case is that this man, went from some god fearing married man to an adulterous, murderous monster in a few months.

My question is:
Was it because this man was morally bound so well into his marriage and religion. (they make references to praying in the film) that once he broke 1 moral rule, (cheated on his wife) all his inhibitions came crashing down?

Doesn't it seem more the "norm" to cheat on your wife, have an argument and then get divorced?
Was the mistress that good? lol.

Go watch it, it'll ruin your day. :)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:13 am 

omen285 wrote:
Fishing in Qufim last night, I lost my lure watching this.
It's a documentary about the murder of Shanann Watts and her children, by husband, Chris Watts. It is put together so well, I almost had to fast forward some parts during his confession.
Maybe because I'm a parent or I'm getting too soft in my old age, but it hit me real heavy. Go watch it and discuss some philosophical points with me.

Morality is subjective.
Man is not born inherently good or evil.
Moral/value systems are invented so we can all get along.

A man who justifies breaking the rules of his moral systems is on a slippery slope to continue doing so.

What interests me the most in this case is that this man, went from some god fearing married man to an adulterous, murderous monster in a few months.

My question is:
Was it because this man was morally bound so well into his marriage and religion. (they make references to praying in the film) that once he broke 1 moral rule, (cheated on his wife) all his inhibitions came crashing down?

Doesn't it seem more the "norm" to cheat on your wife, have an argument and then get divorced?
Was the mistress that good? lol.

Go watch it, it'll ruin your day. :)

You can't control emotions. As a father of two under the age of 8, this was rough to watch. The documentary wasn't that great, they set him up to be the bad guy (he legit was) right away.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:14 pm 

Yeah I'm a dad too, this was tough.

but incorrigibly you, yourself, can assert that you have a difficult time controlling your own emotions.
However, some of us work and thrive to be controllers of our mind and not just residents of it.

Dude i hugged my kids so tight after watching this.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:09 pm 

I just watched this last night. I honestly hated watching it as things became more clear. The true horror behind it all is that you really don't know what other people are capable of. This guy seemed so sweet and unassuming in all of the videos that were posted and Shannan seemed like a controlling narcissist - which is why I almost believed him when he said that his wife killed the kids.

Although, upon reflecting, it seems to make sense that he would do such a thing. He seemed emasculated, passive and servile - but also he put a lot of effort into being incredibly fit and powerful. He seemed like the type that fantasized about exerting power, but was too much of a coward to stand up for himself when actually confronted. He was too much of a coward to just get a divorce and for some reason thought he was clever enough to kill her and get away with it.

I think he actually did kill Shannan in her sleep