Lobby: Up
Online: 75
Sync Range: 40
* FAQ    * Search
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:31 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 57 Next
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:16 am 

Guess what language client had no moon %s? We're the only one with those.

The ele wheel doesn't even match the 'crafting compass'.

The original 'source' for the crafting compass? a guy who did 40 synths. 40. This has been exaggerated somehow to 10k, who knows how...

Not to mention, this is the -perfect- way to get your competition to craft less often, at what you tell them are magical optimal times that only happen every few days.

When I tried to explain the moon/day/direction system to a JP player we have here, they were very confused. They had 2 crafts over 80 here, so there's no way they didn't try to find out what was optimal on their way there on JP sites.

Crafting moon/day/direction is "is mozart still alive??????" tier.

Things that are this important to the game do not stay mysteries for long. Somehow we know it's -exactly- 5 levels below the synth to maximize skillups, somehow we know -exactly- the formula for damage, yet moon/day/direction has been in dispute for over 10 years by the time they said it didn't exist.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:23 am 

Storm wrote:
Its not like there was relevant info ingame pointing out directional elements or anything. Not a map, or stars in the sky in every zone or anything like that.

Attachment:
Craftinfo.jpg

I don't doubt that today in retail directions and moon don't matter. I also don't believe SE when they say that it never did. I believe they removed and replaced proprietary code from the game before they sold it to another company. They're either lying for legal purposes or because the spokesperson who answered these questions had no idea.

http://ffxi.lokyst.net/timer/crafttimer.html

I honestly can't find it but I distinctly remember back in 06 someone running 10s of thousands of synths, using the data to make the directional compass, and then realizing it matched the star chart. This is also not the original craft calc I used back then, I'm pretty sure it was in japanese and very plain.

amazing the things people did for the community. we were a special bunch. and its hard to argue with a star map.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:42 am 

I never said anything about percentages, the only thing that mattered was new/full moon. The days corresponded with the chart on the right. The chart on the right is also responsible for the outer HQ ring in the center compass.

Which ele wheel are you talking about? The star map on the left that is marked with a East<->West orientation as is you were lying on your back looking at the sky? Or the middle one that is marked with East in the correct orientation?

Like I said I cant find the source but I remember it, it was not 40 synths, it was a huge amount of data with a set item for each crystal, I'm pretty sure its the same place the HQ tiers come from. I cant prove anything.

I'm sorry you had japanese people play you and pretend to know nothing about the craft compass but like you said, this is the -perfect- way to get your competition to craft less efficient, so you can undercut them and price them out of the market competitively.

I personally only did 3 synths to make money. 3 synths thousands of times repeatedly for $$$. It definitely mattered. I quit retail in 2009, started in 04.

Last edited by Storm on Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:54 am 

So -your- version doesn't use moon% but many people's did. Who is right? Why is there -any- dispute when something much more difficult, damage formulas, was confirmed without a doubt?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:30 am 

Everyone DD'd, everyone competed, compared, fought each other in balista/brenner, watched each other at HNM camps etc. I never talked to another crafter ig about crafting other then a few select friends, most didn't even know I crafted or mined. Many people had secret chars they crafted on. What percentage of crafters of the population do you think there were vs DD? I's say 20% committed crafters with another 20% who tried or crafted just to stack mats. But I'd say 70% of the population had a 75 DD.

Its also free to hit things. Which is why so many people farmed.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:34 am 

20% of the population is still a huge amount of people. The precision to which people found damage and all other formulas is crazy. Testing various different equipment and it's effects certainly wasn't free. You could -make money- testing crafting just the same.

How many of the players were 75 SMN? Yet we know formulas for their BPs too...

How many different food items are there with random % effects on obscure, non-exact stats, yet everyone could check the wiki at the time for exact % modifiers for food stats. SE added food stats to all food in-game 10 years later and it matched what people had already tested to find exactly.

But for crafting, everyone had their crazy superstitions, and none of them were true, which is why there were so many of them competing to be seen as valid. There is only one truth.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:45 am 

I don't get what your saying. Your saying you believe players accurately guessed every single detail of the server to the number. We knew 2 Dex=1acc before SE added /checkparam as early as 05, and we figured out that 1 dex = 1 acc for 2 handed weapons in like a week after it was changed.

Except for this thing which was the basing for funding for huge amount of people as you put it.

Also, theres more to gain from sharing/helping others figure out damage formula's. Theres always something to kill that drops rare/ex items. Just because people know how to do damage doesnt mean they will be directly competing in your market. Crafting is not like that.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:51 am 

Storm wrote:
I don't get what your saying. Your saying you believe players accurately guessed every single detail of the server to the number. We knew 2 Dex=1acc before SE added /checkparam as early as 05, and we figured out that 1 dex = 1 acc for 2 handed weapons in like a week after it was changed.

Except for this thing which was the basing for funding for huge amount of people as you put it.

Also, theres more to gain from sharing/helping others figure out damage formula's. Theres always something to kill that drops rare/ex items. Just because people know how to do damage doesnt mean they will be directly competing in your market. Crafting is not like that.

that makes sense

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:17 am 

Quote:

They did indeed figure out large swathes of information for major game mechanics. The same couldn't be agreed upon for crafting, a major game mechanic. The "crafters didn't want to help each other" argument would work if you could assume they were all greedy and never shared anything, but that's a really silly assumption to make. How did everyone come together to solve the entire game... but never to solve crafting? Come on now. Why did every guide for crafting have to come with disclaimers and admitions of "this works for me and some people believe it" statements? The only thing any of the crafters agreed on was HQ tiers, and skillup windows (5 being perfect): why wasn't there dispute on these while there was for every other part of moon/day/direction?

Your argument for why SE "removed" it doesn't even make sense either. They changed it so that they can.. sell it? But they haven't sold FFXI away. Why would SE sell away a FF game? And what does changing crafting have to do with it? Who would buy the FFXI crafting system? That as a concept doesn't even make sense.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:28 am 

I have never seen an alternate theory. I've seen people say they don't care, I've seen people say they don't believe it but they never crafted, never had a craft past 50 in retail. They farmed, or did BCNMs/ENMs, or fished, or got paid 700-2.5mil a week from the sales of the stuff we didnt need from sky from the LS bank etc.

Looking into it they had moved into strictly maintenance, I could have sworn they had transferred the server to a 3rd party to maintain, but it seems they just downsized and the team is still slowly putting out QoL updates. I've played retail for 5 years from 04-09, I've played on 75 cap private servers from 13-now. This crafting system has not always been a part of DSP and before this version the crafting system was much rougher, I believe you couldn't even skillup off of lightning crystals. Crafting without the moon, days, and directions crafting mods is not right. I remember specifically testing in retail whether or not you could raise the cap of attemptable craft recipes with the days/directions.

I remember people taking chances on lightsday because their synths elemental day wasnt in that new/full moons rotation and they needed the +1 level to hit T1 but there was always an added chance of critical failure and a loss of all mats because of lightsday.

Did you craft in retail?

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 57 Next