Lobby: Up
Online: 50
Sync Range: 40
* FAQ    * Search
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:49 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:59 am 
Site Admin

In regards to the recent changes to both the exp formula as well as sync level restrictions, there's been mixed feelings. It's an adjustment, and will take time to sink in. Players will have to find new camps, and be more proactive in their party search. It's a change, and while some may not be a huge fan, change happens and it's a form of progress. These changes are not made lightly, and are given great consideration. It is my goal to make the server the best it can be. A great deal of this relies on you, the player.

Now, I know that this is a) the internet and b) a bunch of nerds playing video games. So it's only natural to scream "CHANGE IS BAD" without giving it a chance to settle in. I've been on your side of the equation before. I know what it's like. But I've also had the opportunity to experience things from the other side. To see what makes things tick, how things work, and to get a better over-all view of things. I've used this experience to create the server that we all enjoy today.

There's up's and there's downs, however cookies and pie all day long may be great in the beginning, but before long players grow bored and want a better variety, more challenges, different content. It promotes longevity allowing players to play longer and enjoy things more. Too much content is aimed at instant gratification these days. That is not and has never been my goal. Finding a happy medium between the enjoyment and the rough times has been an ongoing battle that has weighed heavily on me for years.

It may seem like things are just becoming negative when you listen to the nay-sayers only, however there is a balance for things. Not everything works as desired out of the box. There's tuning, and more tuning, and more tuning after that. Adjustments are made all the time, many of which players never even see. Fixes for bugs, stability, price adjustments, etc. These are behind the scenes things that provide a better experience to the players without them knowing it.

Sometimes, though, adjustments must be made that will get noticed. The level sync range was a challenge to deal with: difficult at times, but far from impossible. Level sync was implemented to help players build parties at all levels. However, this resulted in a handful of players completely dominating lower level areas with their pocket mages. While banning PL's might have been an option, it would penalize more people than it would help, since not all are abused. However when a few players can monopolize by cycling through sync targets and get clear to 75, this makes it difficult for newer players to find a place in low level parties when the ones controlling the PL's control the parties, and choose only what they need from the higher level pool of players.

There are no plans for sync to go away entirely. This effort was only made to keep players in the general area which is more appropriate for their current level, and keep them from monopolizing areas that would keep or prevent other players from progressing.

With the proper exp calculations in place, exp is a bit slower than previously. This was truly an error in the calculation that was never intended. However, now that it is the way it is, I'm free to add special events I was never comfortable introducing before: bonus xp weekends. Previously, the exp calc was wrong and I knew it, I just hadn't had the time to figure out what it was. Now that it's sorted, we can add many new events that will make boosted exp feel more like a treat, rather than the standard. Hopefully, then, players will be able to enjoy it more, as the new xp rate becomes the standard.