Lobby: Up
Online: 42
Sync Range: 40
* FAQ    * Search
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:49 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 58 Next
 Post subject: Re: Blue mage status
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:57 pm 

Fluxi wrote:
So - Blu has been in the patch spotlight as of late, but personally, I haven't really experienced an increase in power spike when it comes to contributing in an experience pty. At lvl 59, I feel my BLU is exactly the same as before the changes, minus the fact that combat log has changed - in the past I would get a lot of "xxx hits for 0 dmg", whereas now it gives a different message along the lines of "Has no effect on".

I tried subbing on /THF as well, and to my dismay, it doesn't really pull the big numbers. I mainly tried Sneak attack with Uppercut, Sickle slash and mandibular bite, but didn't get satisfying results with either of them, even when pairing them with Chain affinity.

I am very curious on how BLU plays at 75 now and what intel people have on BLU post-patch. Is MND-stacking Caster Mind Blast BLU still a thing at 75 or did that get busted? (patch notes simply state that Mind blast, among other spells, has received an adjustment) Has physical BLU become viable at 75? I guess I am asking, cause I am sorta timid about leveling the job further, if its only benefit (nuker) got oblivated completely, without another role/playstyle(Physical blu?) rising to take its spot. Afterall, BLU takes a lot of time to level, and especially at 60, many of its core spells are very hard to obtain due to being from Toau (which only got harder with SMNs and BSTs taking a hit in their abillity to tackle those areas)..

Guess I am asking if Mind control is still decent, and if it is not, is something else?

Sincerly, Fluxi

SATA Cannonball is pretty ok in endgame but I do think all of the physicals need a significant buff, I haven' t been able to get above a 1600 SATA Cannonball as of yet which is very very low for this era, I'm hoping nasomi sees the current dmg outputs and modifies things further, similar issue with the big 3, except they don't do good damage UNLESS sata'd and that's a waste since they are multihits and cannonball or vertical cleave will always do more with SATA. Mind Blast is down to Era Normals so it's not OP anymore.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:18 pm 

tokitaki wrote:
Fluxi wrote:
So - Blu has been in the patch spotlight as of late, but personally, I haven't really experienced an increase in power spike when it comes to contributing in an experience pty. At lvl 59, I feel my BLU is exactly the same as before the changes, minus the fact that combat log has changed - in the past I would get a lot of "xxx hits for 0 dmg", whereas now it gives a different message along the lines of "Has no effect on".

I tried subbing on /THF as well, and to my dismay, it doesn't really pull the big numbers. I mainly tried Sneak attack with Uppercut, Sickle slash and mandibular bite, but didn't get satisfying results with either of them, even when pairing them with Chain affinity.

I am very curious on how BLU plays at 75 now and what intel people have on BLU post-patch. Is MND-stacking Caster Mind Blast BLU still a thing at 75 or did that get busted? (patch notes simply state that Mind blast, among other spells, has received an adjustment) Has physical BLU become viable at 75? I guess I am asking, cause I am sorta timid about leveling the job further, if its only benefit (nuker) got oblivated completely, without another role/playstyle(Physical blu?) rising to take its spot. Afterall, BLU takes a lot of time to level, and especially at 60, many of its core spells are very hard to obtain due to being from Toau (which only got harder with SMNs and BSTs taking a hit in their abillity to tackle those areas)..

Guess I am asking if Mind control is still decent, and if it is not, is something else?

Sincerly, Fluxi

SATA Cannonball is pretty ok in endgame but I do think all of the physicals need a significant buff, I haven' t been able to get above a 1600 SATA Cannonball as of yet which is very very low for this era, I'm hoping nasomi sees the current dmg outputs and modifies things further, similar issue with the big 3, except they don't do good damage UNLESS sata'd and that's a waste since they are multihits and cannonball or vertical cleave will always do more with SATA. Mind Blast is down to Era Normals so it's not OP anymore.

Thanks a lot for the response - it's as I feared then - the niche got killed, and nothing was buffed enough to compensate.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:04 am 

Fluxi wrote:
tokitaki wrote:
Fluxi wrote:

Sincerly, Fluxi

Thanks a lot for the response - it's as I feared then - the niche got killed, and nothing was buffed enough to compensate.

Yeah, atm I wouldn't suggest leveling it, I myself am backing away from playing it for right now because compared to my other melee jobs, it's rather weak in it's current unfinished state.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:38 pm 

So BLU is gimp now at 75 too?
only reason I came back was because I have this itch to play a 75BLU on here. Are they still wanted in endgame content?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:24 am 

Puffyjay wrote:
So BLU is gimp now at 75 too?
only reason I came back was because I have this itch to play a 75BLU on here. Are they still wanted in endgame content?

At the moment, I'd say so, I think it needs serious buffing before it becomes the damage powerhouse it was in retail. Without Mind Blast, Heat Breath and Flying Hip Press holding it up, it feels a bit too weak for what it is.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:37 am 

Flying hip press doing 10-20 dmg against for +100 mana pr use, love it (talking exp parties, nor against underleveled mobs)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:29 am 

Blue Mage is currently still a very, very bad DD in exp parties, at least at higher levels, based on my experience with it thus far before and after the latest set of changes.

Almost no difference, physical spells still hit for squat, magical spells still do next to nothing while costing tons of MP and debuffs are hard to land without swapping out weapons. The damage Blue Mage outputs is horrible, you'll see other DD jobs landing huge damage with their weapon skills starting in the mid/late 40's while Blue Mage gets, for example, a 150-250 Chain Affinity Sickle Slash or Mandibular Bite every two minutes. It's laughably bad, even opening a skillchain for other DDs isn't worth it as you'd just get higher DPS out of another DD that isn't a Blue Mage. This applies to virtually any situation in which BLU can actually do some damage, you'd still likely see higher DPS out of pretty much any other DD. And on top of that, BLU needs refresh or they have to sit out to rest. I've subbed White Mage and healed in most of my exp parties, and even then its not the ideal job for the role since it can't refresh or haste anyone else in the party and is missing higher-tier Protect/Shell and -na spells. It just doesn't really do anything for an exp party that another job can't do a lot better and result in higher exp/hr.

This latest update felt like it did more harm than good for the job overall, its still near-useless in exp as a DD and is second banana as a healer, and looks like its lost much of its ability to be useful in endgame content as well, though I haven't gotten there with the job myself yet. Seems like it needs some serious adjustment, its not very enjoyable to play right now.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:06 am 

Fluxi wrote:
Flying hip press doing 10-20 dmg against for +100 mana pr use, love it (talking exp parties, nor against underleveled mobs)

FHP does 33% of your current HP so unless you have Chatoyant, a ton of MACC, and an HP set for regular parties, you're going to have a miserable time.

-

For everyone else, please be reminded that the recent changes to BLU has made it more in line with retail. Sure it's still pretty weak and much weaker now in general, but what can you do when we don't know the ACTUAL coding and scripts SE made for it?

You're best off using a Sword and spamming low cost/recast stuns until you get to the levels that give you access to start using magical spells much more efficiently.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:12 pm 

With the recent adjustments to Blu, the artifact questline is much more a necessity now. Previously, while it hurt the leveling process, between nuke setups and the lack of appropriate modifiers on physical spells making it weak in most content outside of some medium difficulty endgame, it wasn't that big a deal. Now, though, we desperately need that AF body.

Now that the script has been flipped, let's talk about party roles for us. Blu/whm once you have wild carrot is still probably the best bet as our damage output is still not that great, though further testing 60+ could prove otherwise. In exp, make a wonderful SATA buddies as blu/nin. We're easily the best dd at mitigating damage at that point, with cocoon, utsusemi, head butt stuns, our own healing and bludgeon/jetstream will help hold aggro if that's needed. With chain affinity you open up alot of options as a dd as well, solo sc is cool, but typically its not going to do that much damage till you get 60+ spells. A better approach is to use tp to open sc and use CA to open sc, the stronger DDs while close much better and you'll be more useful to the party. Red Lotus Blade > Jetstream or Red Lotus Blade > Sickle Slash can be pretty strong though. In the early levels blu/war can be a good tank as well, as mentioned above we are great at mitigating damage.

I'd like to thank Nasomi for giving us some attention, along with bringing it more inline with it's retail perspective, fixing spells we could learn but not use! Pinecomb Bomb is lit. We're almost there but there's still a few more missing pieces.

A list of things we're missing
Blue Mage artifact
Wamoura do not use their TP move Exuviation, thus we cannot learn it
Group 2 merit Assimilation does not work
Attack Bonus trait does not work, it will show in the list of traits but not give attack bonus (now working: Thanks Central)
Evasion Bonus trait does not work (now working: Thanks Central)
If anyone has anything else they can think of to add, surely do, this is what I can remember off the top of my head. It's been a long time since I thoroughly tested every nook and cranny. Also if someone can confirm any of this has been fixed already and not mentioned, go for it. I haven't tried the bonus traits in a while and god knows when the last time I tried getting Wamoura to use Exuviation.

It's sad to see that it's still so hard for us to even be included in exp parties, especially in the middle levels and beyond. It was always assumed that a melee rework would be the solution to the problem, but the boost in performance isn't quite there. I hear accuracy is still an issue while leveling. I'd suggest to anyone wanting to be a blu level a job you can merit swords with and do this prior to leveling blu. It's the most gear/stat dependant job around, take the time, each spell uses it's own modifiers so often each spell is going to need its own gearset. Good luck, happy learning!

On a side note, looking for some blus to get together and play around, level capped content, 60+exp, meripos, missions. Hmu in game

Aselius

Last edited by Ase on Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:39 am 

Attack and Evasion Bonus traits work now as well as Feather Barrier.

Clear Mind and its stacking effect still does not work.

Wamoura still don't use Exuviation.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 58 Next