Lobby: Up
Online: 73
Sync Range: 40
* FAQ    * Search
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:36 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: New Player Struggles
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:01 pm 

So as the title says, I'm new, and man that makes it hard. I just finally got burnt out because I sat in the dunes for hours trying to find people to group with and nothing. I don't know if it's because the server is old and everyone is basically done with the dunes, if people aren't interested in the dunes, or if the best way to get a group is by having a good ls or what. But regardless, I've been having one hell of a time finding exp parties. I'm told it gets better at 20, but I don't see how that makes sense. If it's dead before 20, why would it suddenly be popping at 20+?

There is also no discord for this server, and I was told it's because it's against the terms here??? Was there a discord in the past and drama made it stop? Is it because discord didn't exist back then and they think it will somehow be unauthentic? I've searched the forums and couldn't find anyone talking about it so I'm in the dark on finding answers to it.

Anyways, I'm hoping someone can shed some light on everything and help me decide whether it's worth the time investment to stay on the server or not. I don't want to stick around if the only thing people are doing is end game. Joined a private server to try and play with people and avoid solo content, because honestly, solo content isn't what MMOs are good at, and I would rather avoid MMOs than play them alone.

Also, sorry if I sound salty, it's just that I've been playing on this server for a while, and I feel I rarely talk to anyone because groups just don't exist, and when they do, it's just people multiboxing and pulling mobs faster than I can breath, so there is no time for people to chat. So maybe a good active LS could remedy my need for a social experience in a Massively Multiplayer Online game.

Post subject: Re: New Player Struggles
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:14 pm 

Your timezone will massively affect your experience here. I'd say at least two thirds of the server are american, so it'll be quieter during their night time, for example.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:14 pm 

People party in the dunes all the time. There are times the dunes are overcrowded. What job did you decide to level first? If it was a mage, it may take some time to get a party as Nasomi seems to be mostly TP burn parties. I would suggest Warrior or Thief as your first job to 30.

Also what level were you there seeking? I've learned most of the time if you're not 12+ you may not get a party. If you need any help let me know! IGN is the same as on here. Don't give up!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:35 pm 

Another factor is , do you have a subjob? Sucks to see thos but for obvious reason between 2 people 1 with sj 1 without people will pick up the 1 with sub , deffo the first steps on ffxi were never easy , no difference here on nasomi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:43 pm 

I often invite a BLM without SJ over some other jobs with subjobs, not just cause of helping them to find a good start but also cause whoom whoom BLM rocks ;-)

Main Role: Heal > Nuke it baby, one more time!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:53 pm 

You must have been unlucky, lots of times there are to many parties in the dunes. Just solo til lvl 13 tho. Because parties don't start til then. Also most LS have their own discord, so just join an a LS. Good Luck

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:45 pm 

I'm going to agree with time zones being the issue. I'm fairly new here too (started in June and my highest is now 55). I'm on eastern time and I've noticed the majority of players leveling low jobs is around 6 til 10pm. A lot of it has to do with people running dynamis, cop, bcnm, and other linkshell activities in the later evening.

So people with endgame jobs won't be as likely to play later on. Mage jobs have it tougher because I've had a mage job seek all night with nothing, and melee never goes without.

If you're a healer, tough it out. People get PL up into the 50s so it's that much harder to find a group when most lowbie parties stack full of DPS and rely on the PL for heals.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:27 pm 

I will log back in later today and see if the issue is still there. I am aware that mages don't get groups, regardless of how dumb I think that is (making the game hard on new players is no way to keep a community alive), but I figured I could at least make my own groups and be fine. But people still leave when they realize I don't have a PL, which again, is stupid. I think people really need to stop thinking about how to get to end game as fast as possible and think about how welcoming their community is to new players. As people leave, you need people coming in to replace them. All those afk players at the AH aren't going to play with you after all.

PS: I know I'm salty, but just sucks to see a game I loved so much as a kid become a mere shadow of what it once was. I had to actively look for a LS rather than be offered to join one. I had to actively ask people for advice, only to be told to use google. And I had to sit in dunes for hours trying to group while people tell me it's because I'm not a TP DD. Like holy shit guys. This community doesn't seem all that inviting.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:30 pm 

And to answer a few questions. I always get to 12+ before dunes, and I do have a sub job (finally). Finding a group just seems to be good one day and bad another. It's a bit random. Most people I see are 50+ and sitting afk in town. The people I see running around are usually just running from their mog house to the AH. It feels just like playing an MMO in maintainance mode. People are just kinda keeping up with their characters because they have spent years here. I don't get the impression that people are playing because they enjoy the game anymore, and that's a bad first impression.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:56 pm 

That's also a wrong first impression, so there's not much folks can do about it. I've leveled 3 jobs to 25 in the last monthish, and really didn't seek for more than about 20-30 minutes at most for any part of it. I made some of my own parties, and was invited for others.

Last edited by Starbright on Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.