Lobby: Up
Online: 84
Sync Range: 40
* FAQ    * Search
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:05 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next
 Post subject: Re: New Player Struggles
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:00 pm 

The game, and this server, is what you make it. Sounds like you've made up your opinion, but your opinion seems to be rooted in blaming others for why you're not having a good time.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:08 pm 

Zadok the wise.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:19 pm 

You have to realize that the game, even though is 15+ years old, is being played in modern days. 15+ years ago not everyone has the tools used today so telling someone to google something, instead of spending 20-30 min of their time explaining something to you that in the end you might not even take, is not the most ideal way to handle a situation. So in those situations, nostalgia wont be coming back. People are few and far between with inviting people to linkshells, you do usually have to ask for one. This is also linked to the whole information is everywhere thing while back in the day, information was word of mouth, so joining a linkshell is very important.

It is not going to be exactly how you remember. Will it be close? ya. Will you get to experience 75 era stuff? Yeah. Will you be able to make friends and things eventually? Ya. Will you have all of this before level 12? Probably not. Maybe if your lucky by lv 50. Also, thf is not considered a hard hitting tp burning class on this server and if you chose thf to level first, your going to have a rough time, though it is rewarding to have later in the game.

Our recent accomplishments

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:28 pm 

imKranely wrote:
And to answer a few questions. I always get to 12+ before dunes, and I do have a sub job (finally). Finding a group just seems to be good one day and bad another. It's a bit random. Most people I see are 50+ and sitting afk in town. The people I see running around are usually just running from their mog house to the AH. It feels just like playing an MMO in maintainance mode. People are just kinda keeping up with their characters because they have spent years here. I don't get the impression that people are playing because they enjoy the game anymore, and that's a bad first impression.

I don't spend a lot of time seeking, because my schedule ingame is already so full. There's more stuff to do than I have hours in the day - camping kings and drakes, farming sea pops, camping other NMs, doing limbus, doing dynamis burns, OWNMs, periodic sky farming, etc. - I'm at the point where I might have a mandau finished before I get my THF to 50. So when I do level, I really am trying to squeak out as much efficiency as I can. That means mostly partying with LS mates when we have a break in a relatively busy schedule, but when I am building external parties, I will be honest - I bias towards people with the most efficient jobs, and use stuff like nation rank, name recognition, etc. to help filter down to the best players as best I can. It's selfish, but it can literally halve or quarter the amount of time I spend leveling, which is important when juggling all of the stuff I have to do in FFXI with a full time job and still making time to go out and socialize at least 2 to 3 nights each week. And all of this goes double in the dunes, which even two decades later is still the biggest shitshow potion of FFXI, so I basically just do not ever level anything there by seeking, and this goes through to finishing up Bibiki Bay, generally.

I know my situation isn't unique, either, so I imagine a lot of people have similar reasons.

http://rfklinkshell.com/

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:05 pm 

End of the day, people are actively avoiding new players because it doesn't benefit them. Not a community I want to be in, and not the community that I remember.

PS: To the two single players who did help me, thank you. To the other people who asked me for gil when I needed help on a mission or asked a question.... enjoy your server.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:09 pm 

imKranely wrote:
End of the day, people are actively avoiding new players because it doesn't benefit them. Not a community I want to be in, and not the community that I remember.

PS: To the two single players who did help me, thank you. To the other people who asked me for gil when I needed help on a mission or asked a question.... enjoy your server.

maybe people are just avoiding new players, and old players, with terrible fucking attitudes

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:20 pm 

Starbright wrote:
imKranely wrote:

maybe people are just avoiding new players, and old players, with terrible fucking attitudes

Just because I've voiced my concerns with the experience I've had doesn't mean I have a horrible attitude. I've been nothing but nice. This particular post comes off as salty because that is just what it is. I even addressed that. But when the responses are "do you have a sub job" or something along the lines of mages just having a hard time getting groups, it is definitely frustrating. I would love to be proven wrong and be given a reason to realize it's all in my head and make a long apology showing that I misunderstood the community, but when my concerns are only met with this "get used to it" or "if you don't like it leave" mentality, it just feels that much more off putting.

I've spoken with a few people form this server, and a good bit of people who left this server, and I don't seem to be alone in thinking that the server isn't very social or welcoming. I think the players who have been here for a long time are comfortable and have already created their social niches and it just makes it harder for new players to get involved. The new player introductions section of the forums seems mostly untouched by anyone other than the new players making posts introducing themselves, and the LS recruitment forums seem to be devoid of any social LS, so I'm not sure how to go about meeting people.

And even when I do find myself in a party, it's just people chain pulling because we have a PL so there isn't any time to talk to one another. Most people say you wont make friends until much later and that low levels can be rough because people have done it so many times that they just don't enjoy it anymore. So I guess it's just a side effect of the age of the server and I will have to look elsewhere for the experience I would like to have. Simple as that.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:38 pm 

imKranely wrote:
I've spoken with a few people form this server,

K, who?

Quote:
and a good bit of people who left this server, and I don't seem to be alone in thinking that the server isn't very social or welcoming.

Totally not biased.

Quote:
I think the players who have been here for a long time are comfortable and have already created their social niches

Correct.

Quote:
and it just makes it harder for new players to get involved.

Welcome to MMOs. Those who come late are always at a disadvantage to those that came earlier, whether that be gear, progress or relationships.

Quote:
The new player introductions section of the forums seems mostly untouched by anyone other than the new players making posts introducing themselves,

Literally the point of that section. Do you want the Maat's Cap, AV Killers responding every thread with a fake/generic "Welcome to Nasomi!"?

Quote:
and the LS recruitment forums seem to be devoid of any social LS, so I'm not sure how to go about meeting people.

Ever try shouting in your starter city for a Linkshell? Or asking a Linksack/Shellholder you see for one? Generally "recruiting" for a social shell is finding someone competent and asking "Wanna join my LS?"

Quote:
And even when I do find myself in a party, it's just people chain pulling because we have a PL so there isn't any time to talk to one another.

So, would you rather play at 100% efficiency and have no downtime unless stated, or play @50-75% efficiency while having a nice social interaction?

Quote:
Most people say you wont make friends until much later and that low levels can be rough because people have done it so many times that they just don't enjoy it anymore.

Most people get over the "nostalgia" of exping pretty quick and would rather spend their time on things like NM hunting, crafting, missions, etc.

Quote:
So I guess it's just a side effect of the age of the server and I will have to look elsewhere for the experience I would like to have. Simple as that.

Bye Felicia.

Edit: I used to help and pass out gil like candy to new players. When I saw a large portion of those players no longer logging in after not even reaching level 40, I stopped. At most I'll help with a mission/quest(hi NIN job quest), when finished I'll tell them to send me a tell in a month and I'll have gifts for them. You know how many tells I've gotten for those gifts? ZERO.

I need my privacy, I need some signs please,
You're all too loud you don't speak quietly, opinions violently.
Deft/Drop

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:50 pm 

imKranely wrote:
I would love to be proven wrong and be given a reason to realize it's all in my head and make a long apology showing that I misunderstood the community, but when my concerns are only met with this "get used to it" or "if you don't like it leave" mentality, it just feels that much more off putting.

you mean other than all of the new players that don't have the same experience as you, and are happily playing a game they love?

other than everyone commenting on your thread letting you know that it's all in your head, and that people are making friendships every day? Other than the practical advice of getting out of the dunes/qufim range before you think no one likes to have fun while XP'ing? Other than telling you that there are many social LS out there, and you just have to ask for one or shout for one?

Other than all of that? There's NO chance that it's just your attitude that people are picking up on when you ask parties in the dunes to slow down so you can learn everyone's pet's name?

Seriously.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:59 pm 

Not every linkshell is not accepting new people.
My linkshell with full of 75s, including people of different endgame
linkshells accepted just this week 3 starters.
We try to limit it cause we need to keep it stable but we XP
with those (yes wo SJ) too.
So you cant say the community is shit, just not every linkshell
or group might have a spot for newbies ;-)

Main Role: Heal > Nuke it baby, one more time!

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next