Lobby: Up
Online: 58
Sync Range: 40
* FAQ    * Search
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:53 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Leveling...
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:14 am 

I really like the idea of this server, but I think thats where it stops. I'm not really entirely sure. I want to play "old school" FFXI, but my problem is there doesn't seem to be enough people to really do that with. With that being said my problem in lies trying to level. I got 1-9 pretty easily, measly 2 hours. 9-10 took about an hour, ok np. Now, 10+. First the Nas Wiki says go too Valkrum Dunes (Eh, not correct, should be "14"), sat around for about an hour seeing if I could get a party. Wasn't till I really dug deep did I find that you won't really get a party till 14, so I went back to Theine. Nope, I'd either die or get about as close as possible before having to rest for about 20 minutes. So I decided, welp, back to the starter zone. Nope, 1/2 the mobs con worthless, the other 1/2 is far and few between and after about 2 fights, I'm sitting there again for about 10 minutes (maybe it just feels like 10) waiting for health.

Maybe it's just because I'm new and have little knowledge on the subject of FFXI, but it feels like there are not enough people playing too really level up at a "decent" rate. When I look at all the people looking for a party around 10-20, I found 6 (5 if you dont include myself). A whole 6 people. I took upon myself to message a couple of them to learn they were already in parties. Found 1 guy in Theine that was ok with DUOing, but then he disappeared before we even met up.

So my question is, for someone fresh off the boat, not a single level earned, how exactly does one level up past 10? Are we expected too just come to a crawl post 10 and fight only easy mobs for our measly 30-50xp per mob that takes roughly 10+ swings to kill? Or do we sit around for awhile waiting and praying for a party?

Like I started off, I do like the idea of old school FFXI (When people are present), but I just feel there is not enough of a community to really excel. Any advice is appreciated and I hope this didn't know come as a hate post, cause that's not what it is.

Post subject: Re: Leveling...
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:35 am 

I would say welcome to old school FFXI but it seems you have already been introduced. What I usually do is solo till around 14 in Dangruf Wadi. Just kill easy stuff for 50 a kill until 14ish, it adds up quick. The first job always takes the longest because all of your skills are uncapped and have to level up with you. It's not so bad getting to 14 on your 2nd+ job.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:58 am 

The fastest way to get to 14 is gonna be to just go back to gustaberg and kill easy preys, you will only get like 50 exp a kill but you shouldnt have to rest very often so your over all exp per hour will be much better than fighting stuff that will almost kill you. Also make sure you have signet on, that helps with resting since you wont lost TP, as well as I think it supposed to give you a slight advantage over fighting mobs under even match (could be wrong on that though)

You can also try to focus on upgrading your gear if possible by selling/npcing stuff you get killing all those easy preys, lvl 10 is when new gear starts to show up for most classes.

But to help you along with this since you are new send me a tell in game, name is sly and Ill help outfit you with some better gear to make soloing to 14 a little easier on you.

*edit* oh also dont worry too much about there not being many people in your level range, theres a feature here called Level Sync which will allow a party leader to sync higher level members down to someone in the party, so its not that hard to make groups.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:18 am 

Thanks Sly and Arx, appreciate the response. I will take the advice and continue to grind on trival mobs. We'll just see how it goes post 14.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:51 am 

The server linkshell makes it not hard to find a party at all. It is easier to find one on here than retail(pre-aby, I stopped after aby), at least for me.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:54 pm 

Welcome to old school FFXI. The conditions on This Server are better than some retail back in the day. This game teaches you a lot about patience, stick with it and things will definitely get better.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:42 pm 

Easiest thing to do is make your own parties. instead of saying in linkshel chat lfp all the time start saying lf5m valkurm dunes party need tank healer, 2 dds, support, etc. theres usually lots of people seaking low lvl parties and you'll get one quite quick. yeah level sync makes things alot easier than retail around this era!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:03 pm 

You can level sync starting at lvl 10. You can *sometimes* get parties for Lizards in the dunes at 10-12, but most people dont like it on this server because it tends to be slower then killing EPs.

I usually solo til 15, and for your first job its very grindy, but you'll get parties easy in Moghouse chat. If there are a few people in your lv range seeking, form a party and look for others, anyone can sync their lvl down to yours (though after lv 40 most people stop going to the dunes because there is better exp post 30)

If your melee, duo with a mage and save time on resting.

The game is challenging, keep with it and there's lots of fun to be had.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:35 pm 

What they all said. I've not been on Nasomi long and I've lvled 4 or 5 jobs entirely solo to 15 fairly fast. Those EPs die fast so it adds up quick with little downtime, and if you focus on ones that drop items for quests or things that sell really well on AH (You're gonna need gil and fame for various things) you can kill 2 birds (3 if you're like me and skill up most of the wpns a job can use lol) with 1 stone.

If you're doing a mage job, don't skip out on attacking. Meleeing helps a lot to kill quicker with less downtime. A lot of the time, if I can't get magic skillups what I'm fighting, I don't even bother to cast on them.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:45 pm 

yeah I haven't had any issues, some days it's a little slower, but as people said, you can make your own party.

I'd say most people are like you, Seek up waiting for an invite. Just make your own. Depending on your class that's usually the best bet. I play a BLM and WHM and even I have issues getting an inv sometimes. But that's FFXI for you, it's group based. Once you get a party though it'll start rolling in exp so don't give up.

I personally just solo'd to 13. It didn't take that long, just have patience and keep hitting EP's and don't over do it and be cautious to your surroundings so you don't get double teamed and set yourself back.