Lobby: Up
Online: 35
Sync Range: 40
* FAQ    * Search
It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 8:59 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Blue Mage
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 2:18 pm 

What you could do is make an account on the DSP Github and you can report issues there. You can even help code things that matter to you if you know how to do so. I believe it has to go through a multi-step confirmation process before it's accepted so not just anyone can go in there and jack stuff up. If you make a change and it's accepted by DSP contact Nas and discuss it with him in private and he may consider bringing the change in.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 3:16 pm 

To be fair, retail era Blue Mage was always pretty terrible when it came to fighting IT (especially things like HNM). Level correction was a thing there too of course, but also, Blue Mage derived much of it's physical magic accuracy from the skill of it's current wielded weapon, DEX, and straight Magic Accuracy, which simply wasn't enough, it wasn't until the one-handed adjustment later on where it got somewhat-better. Straight accuracy and Blue Magic Skill had no effect on the accuracy of physical spells. Anyway, it probably works a lot more different and messy here, but from what I have seen it's pretty consistent with how it was on retail performance-wise, for the most part.

I'm not going to go into it in detail, but it is worth levelling for endgame. Certain significant spells that were terrible on retail due to m.acc issues, work very well here.

On an outgoing note, I believe it's job abilities are not functioning either, that is, all of them, I believe. Though Diffusion is said to work.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 6:58 pm 

Oh I know level correction was a thing on live, it's just that blu was/is hastily implemented on darkstar is all, and it feels/looks like the level correction here is weighted way too harshly. It's coded up enough to be 'functional', but it could definitely be done better. Accuracy on physical spells against exp mobs is just the tip, as you mentioned a lot of JAs don't function at all. The real kicker is that sneak attack would band-aid the poorly coded acc problems in the short term, but that job ability isn't in the blue code at all.

Chain affinity(and enchainment!) look like they're implemented though, at least partially? At the very least it uses your tp as part of the damage formula like it's supposed to.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 11:43 pm 

Searain wrote:
asuranknight wrote:
Kalarion wrote:
><

Guys. No discussion of coding on the boards. We just had this in another recent thread.

Consider editing post/quote ok?

I haven't seen the reasoning for this anywhere, can you explain why? (basically was any reason given for why it is not to be discussed)

It hurts the meta.

Part of the allure of old XI was the fact that people did not have access to the code (with most of the stats interactions being hidden as well) and thus had to figure out most of the stuff going on under the hood on their own. "XI science" was a big part of the experience for a lot of players and collaborative projects brought people together through forum discussion and in-game testing.

Besides, the sites hosting the code may also list bugs that might end up being exploited (although Nasomi runs his own build, which is fairly different from the one available on the web).

Thanks for the explanation, I had thought it would be something like this (a guess based on how nasomi tends to view things) but wanted to be sure. Still seems like a bit of an odd move considering you can find much of the code elsewhere anyway and that may make addressing bad code more difficult but eh, it is what it is.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 7:14 pm 

Insight wrote:
On an outgoing note, I believe it's job abilities are not functioning either, that is, all of them, I believe. Though Diffusion is said to work.

I can verify as a 75 Blue Mage that Chain Affinity, Burst Affinity, and Diffusion work. Azure Lore does not work since I last attempted it.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 6:54 am 

Insight wrote:
Blue Mage derived much of it's physical magic accuracy from the skill of it's current wielded weapon, DEX, and straight Magic Accuracy, which simply wasn't enough, it wasn't until the one-handed adjustment later on where it got somewhat-better. Straight accuracy and Blue Magic Skill had no effect on the accuracy of physical spells.

This isn't quite right, while there was never proof of blue magic skill impacting physical acc, straight accuracy absolutely always had an effect on the accuracy of physical spells, while magic acc having any impact on physical spells was something that I don't remember ever being proven, and if it did, it wasn't enough to notice or matter. BLU on this server is absolutely not up to the same performance that it had on retail in era.

I've done some testing recently and found some weird quirks. It looks like BLU physical spell damage, not just acc, is also completely wrong. The attack stat is being used in damage calcs, rather than basing your attack off your blue magic skill as it should. I think base damage is being calculated via blue magic skill like it should though, although I'm not sure if it's being calculated to the right numbers/caps.

Breath spells don't seem to actually exist here. Poison breath, Hecatomb wave, etc. all seem to act just like MND based elemental nukes.

Monster correlation also doesn't seem to be here either.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 7:40 am 

Does Headbutt still have 100% Accuracy regardless of skill, level and level of the target?

a 12 MP, 10 seconds recast, 100% proc Stun spell (even subbed, it used to stun HNM 100% of the time back then) is a pretty big perk for a seemingly broken job.

Also, doesn't BLU have a plethora of legit good, low recast, high enmity spells (AoE too)? Combine them with Cocoon, Metallic Body, Genbu Shield, Umbra cape, Sanguine blade, etc. and you most likely got yourself a damn decent tank.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 12:08 pm 

Searain wrote:
Does Headbutt still have 100% Accuracy regardless of skill, level and level of the target?

a 12 MP, 10 seconds recast, 100% proc Stun spell (even subbed, it used to stun HNM 100% of the time back then) is a pretty big perk for a seemingly broken job.

Also, doesn't BLU have a plethora of legit good, low recast, high enmity spells (AoE too)? Combine them with Cocoon, Metallic Body, Genbu Shield, Umbra cape, Sanguine blade, etc. and you most likely got yourself a damn decent tank.

Hmm.

It does have a few, yes. Whether they work the same as retail is questionable. As for the tank comment though, not really. BLU has (or possibly, had) great enmity generation and great defensive equipment options, but it lacked sustainability. Poor MP management, little fast cast, and for the most part, mediocre mitigation spells. Cocoon maybe decent here with defence on Nasomi working like out of era retail, and Saline Coat is also great. In a tanking scenario, that's all you'd have in terms of self buffs, Metallic Body is terrible (like 20hp Stoneskin or some ****?) and takes years to cast, you may have meant Diamondhide, which is a deal more potent, but has an outrageous MP cost, and also takes quite a bit to cast. Not feasible while tanking.

Unlike the other jobs, BLU doesn't have a redeeming safety net to fall back on. PLD has mitigation abilities and shield blocks, RDM has high fast cast and strong mitigation spells. NIN has evasion, an additional utsusemi shadow, and additional tricks depending on sub job, and SAM has third eye. I mean it can be made to work bar the high-end of HNMs, but it's one of those cases of why bother when you can use RDM, PLD, NIN or SAM.

Oh, also, as far as I'm aware they won't be able to get Sanguine Blade as it's been disabled, and the Head Butt stun has been fixed.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 3:04 am 

I don't think the problem with BLU acc is the level correction penalty, at least if it's -4 acc per level below the target, since that seems pretty normal (see: http://ffxiclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Hit_Rate ). There's some evidence that BLU physical spells got an inherent accuracy boost compared to the BLU's same melee acc, and it could be that the boost is not reflected here.