Lobby: Up
Online: 47
Sync Range: 40
* FAQ    * Search
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 5:37 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:08 am 

I've heard through sage advice here and on past ffxi forums that having a signet cast on you is good because of CP and obtaining crystals. I have read that selling these crystals can earn some profit, so always have a signet cast on you. But what I am not getting from anywhere (yes a complete ffxi noob :D ) is "where" to sell the crystals. Do I vendor them? And are there certain vendors that pay more for them than others? Or do I sell them on the AH? Should they be in stacks? How large are stacks?

Hehe I know many of you might be thinking "Wow Galvas. Really?" I'm sorry. I actually bought, installed and played this game when it was released in the US, but I think I played it no more than a week or two.....other mmo interests ya know :) But the good news is that I actually get the feeling of newness here this time around, where most of you feel fond nostalgia but miss the mystery of Vana'diel, I get to live it now. I know this because I played classic EQ, and had played on a classic EQ server that is built a lot like this one; pristine in its captured state of time, a classic era that brings back both wonderful and frustrating memories. I love classic EQ, but could never go back to how I used to feel when I first played it. It's still one of the best mmos imo(specifically for that era -1999 to 2001.) So now I get a chance to live through this era like many of you had, just 12 or so years too late :D.

So any advice I ask is genuine. All the players, and Nasomi himself have been fantastic! Thanks for hearing me out, I am super excited about starting my adventuring career here. See you all in game.

Galvas (lvl 8 warrior) future DRK
Merek (lvl 7 warrior) future PLD
Kage ( lvl 1 thief) future NIN

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:17 am 

Hey.

In city, open your map and look for Auction House. Safe crystals up to a full stack of 12, then at the Auction House, choose sell. It will show you the history of what people had been selling and you can set your own price there.

The 2 that are really cheap and not really worth the trouble IMO, are Earth and Water. You can NPC vendor these 2. Wind isn't too bad but for low level player Fire is the money maker.

And don't feel bad about this, in retail I spent weeks NPC'ing all my crystals too before learning about the AH :D

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:12 pm 

Also, you can have multiple jobs on one character. I am not sure if you want to level 3 melee style jobs on 3 different characters. Maybe you do.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:43 pm 

Decimus wrote:
Also, you can have multiple jobs on one character. I am not sure if you want to level 3 melee style jobs on 3 different characters. Maybe you do.

Yeah, I will most likely level different jobs eventually on these 3, but kind of like to stick to the overall main jobs of these 3. May lvl other subjobs for these 3 main classes, to see how well different combinations work with one another.

Thank you Jei for that info, it's exactly what I was looking for!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:52 pm 

Galvas wrote:
Decimus wrote:

Yeah, I will most likely level different jobs eventually on these 3, but kind of like to stick to the overall main jobs of these 3. May lvl other subjobs for these 3 main classes, to see how well different combinations work with one another.

Thank you Jei for that info, it's exactly what I was looking for!

Your best bet is to do all of those "main" jobs on one character since your one character can change its job at any time. Why level Warrior three times when you only need to do it once and have it available for all of the other jobs you want to play? :P (And you would need to level Warrior 3 times if you leveled three different characters, since Ninja, Dark Knight and Paladin all use Warrior as a subjob) Racial bonuses are mostly meaningless in this game so having the "right" race for whatever class you're trying to main doesn't really matter. Tarutaru tanks and Galka tanks are effectively the same in 99.9% of scenarios.

The way jobs work in Final Fantasy XI is that you essentially have two jobs to draw abilities from. Your "main" job is where most of your abilities come from. If you're a Paladin you'll have access to Holy spells and heavy armor that make the Paladin class what it is. If you're a Ninja you'll be using Ninjutsu magic and dual weilding. Dark Knight gets black magic and a scythe.

However, you'll also have a "subjob" to draw abilities from. You unlock the ability to set your subjob once you hit level 18 for the first time and do a quest in Selbina/Mhaura. Your subjob is only able to be half of your main job's level, so if you are a 20 Ninja and you set your subjob to Warrior, you'll be NIN20/WAR10. Ninja and Paladin use Warrior as a subjob to gain access to abilities like Provoke, Berserk, and Defender, which are low-level Warrior abilities that enhance the main job's natural role as tanks. Literally every tank class in the game needs Warrior as a subjob because Provoke (basically a taunt) is one of the most important tanking abilities, and no other class gets it.

I hope this helps clear things up for you. It is strongly advised to level only one character. You might want to level a second character later on as a way to be able to powerlevel yourself, but since you're just starting out I would strongly suggest sticking to just one as doing too many things at the start can be overwhelming. Let me know if you have any more questions. :)

Let's do the Time Warp again!

New to Nasomi and have a question? PM me, I'd be glad to help!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:48 pm 

Galvas wrote:
pristine in its captured state of time

lol ;x

Far from it, but it's the closest you will find, and I suppose it does get closer as time passes.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:53 pm 

Gweivyth wrote:
Tarutaru tanks and Galka tanks are effectively the same in 99.9% of scenarios.

And this is seriously not true, at all, unless 99.9% of scenarios for you are killing trash enemies, and even then you can see a considerable difference.

I'm not saying Galka can't work as a mage, or Tarutaru as a melee damage dealer, but the difference is most certainly noticeable when compared to other races who are better suited for these roles.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:27 pm 

I'm not really interested in turning this into a dick waving contest or anything, but in my anecdotal experience, the racial difference is negligible. And the vast majority of people are Hume anyway so it's even less likely to matter.

Let's do the Time Warp again!

New to Nasomi and have a question? PM me, I'd be glad to help!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:22 pm 

Gweivyth wrote:
I'm not really interested in turning this into a dick waving contest or anything, but in my anecdotal experience, the racial difference is negligible. And the vast majority of people are Hume anyway so it's even less likely to matter.

I miss just as much on my mithra as I did on any elf. Back in 06-07 retail, two of the best PLD tanks were Taru. Playing your job correctly is more important than stats. My Taru whm was under-geared and I still healed better than a lot of people because of buffs/anticipation.

It's all how you play.

I Want To Make Gil

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:32 pm 

Galvas wrote:
Galvas (lvl 8 warrior) future DRK
Merek (lvl 7 warrior) future PLD
Kage ( lvl 1 thief) future NIN

Just thought you might want to know, there's a 2char limit, with a 3rd in the city. Nas has imposed the limit for balance purposes, since accounts are free, to avoid people abusing it. You do, however, get an additional character as a mule, but they have to stick to the cities.