Lobby: Up
Online: 49
Sync Range: 40
* FAQ    * Search
It is currently Fri Jun 21, 2024 8:34 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:50 pm 

Hello, i started playing in this server about a week ago or so, so far having a great time with a friend in here, sadly these last few days my playtime has been plagued by constant random crashing.

This crash can happen right after I login, after 4 hours of play or not at all when i only play for a short time and i am lucky, there doesn't seem to be any logic to these crashes, it doesn't matter if i am casting a spell or fighting a monster or even just walking around, i will crash on average around 2 to even 10 times a day depending on how much i play. This is extremely aggravating because the only way to test anything is to play and hope for the best but so far all my hopes have been crushed by a sudden crash.

CPU: i5 2500k
GPU: GTX 550 ti
RAM: 4GB

Things i have tried:

- Disabling screen thing in UAC (this would 100% crash the game, not the same kind of crash it seems)
- Disabling aero
- Disabling almost all other software (only thing running as of last crash was realtek audio driver and... windows 7.)
- Underclocking or overclocking my GPU by about 5%-10% (possible solution to a similar problem when googlin)
-Tried to force fullscreen mode in Ashita (it doesn't seem to work i always get a windowed+borderless never legit fullscreen as i have to focus the ffxi window when login since day1)
- didn't have any options set for ffxi in nvidia control panel as i could not find the exe, tried to enable ffxa on pol.exe which worked then reseted all settings on pol.exe to nvidia cp default
-I started on drivers 361.91 researched a possible stable driver in 331.82, didn't work. (probably gonna try more, this suggestion worked on a 600 series card)
-Disabled shadows and weather ingame
-Graphics stabilization was set since day 1 (have not tried disabling it will probably do)
- Did a file check on pol, no errors where found.

Things im gonna do:
- Update ffxi with the instructions in this forum
- Reinstall FFXI on current os.
- Reinstall OS, then reinstall ffxi again
- cry (>_>)

EDIT: I forgot to tell about a few extra things i did try but did not list as they were too many to remember right away:

-Rolled back from 361.91 to 331.82 as i found out in a forum that the last driver was stable on a 600 series card.
-no antivirus and not much isntalled on this os at the time as the fresh install was about a month ago, i also clean my pc about 2 or 3 times a year and i just did recently i do not get blue screens, temps are all fine.

Last edited by TexturedMango on Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:15 pm 

What AV are you running? I was having constant random errors when I started playing again. I thought it had to do with the new installation being corrupt. Ended up being the new AV. I was running bit defender to try it out. Even when disabled it was causing issues. I had found an old 2011 post about it. So uninstalled bitdefender and the game runs flawlessly now.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:49 pm 

Did you try uninstalling Firefox?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:04 pm 

Forgot to mention that i do not have any AV software installed but i will try unistalling Firefox thanks for the answers

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:12 pm 

Alright update, just unistalled firefox and played for 2 hours was really hopeful that this was it but sadly i crashed just now, it's a pretty cruel way to troubleshoot this one... im gonna try on safe mode with networking i guess.

If anyone's got some ideas or maybe same setup as mine i would be very grateful with any help.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:25 am 

If it were me I'd just do a fresh OS install at this point to see if it still does it. If it keeps happening multiple times then you have a much smaller pool of potential culprits. Don't go off a single crash though because the game crashes for all of us on occasion randomly. I probably crash 1-2 times a week at least so there is no perfect solution but you can alleviate it for the most part.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:45 am 

A few more things to try.
- different Nvidia driver version.
- DirectX 8.1
- let CCleaner clean up your pc
- clean dust in your case

Last point may sound funny but don't overlook the Pc age D: It may start to have mainboard/harddrive issue or even power supply stabilizing problem. My PC at home would go bluescreen or couldn't even start Windows when they get to a certain point, which changing PSU normally fix the problem.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:34 am 

Hey arx thanks for stopping by, im trying to hold out for a fresh OS install until next monday but that's definitely a big hope for me...

Jei, this OS is recent and i cleaned the pc just before i reinstalled the OS less than a month ago so that's not likely the problem, about the drivers, that seems like the only solution but the problem is my internet is extremely slow (60KiB/s cap) thanks to circumstances outside my control so trying out drivers is a slow process, but i am trying, i will post them for reference tho.

Also what about DirectX 8.1 should i reinstall it or ?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:23 pm 

I kinda threw it in there because it's the default directX that comes bundle with FFXI.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:48 am 

Hey guys last update i believe, seems like the issue is fixed for now, i tried these drivers:

310.70 CRASH
331.82 CRASH <- best one yet.
361.91 CRASH
372.70 CRASH

Somehow it was crashing every 2 minutes like never before, i then used DDU to remove the latest driver i installed in safe mode and went back to 331.82, after this i got about 1 crash in 2 (two!) days. Thanks for the help and all cya ingame (IGN: Gautstafr).